Hand Paddling - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-01-2010   #1

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 04
Hand Paddling

I tried hand paddling this last weekend with NRS propulsion gloves. Since purchasing the gloves I've found that companies like CKS are selling hand paddles that are bigger than the Propulsion Gloves and some seem to have a hard surface for the paddle (as opposed to neoprene creating a web between the fingers).

I would love to try the hard surfaced hand paddles with a larger surface area, but I am concerned how difficult is it to pull your skirt if required.

Does anybody have experience with these paddles...is this an issue, or am I just overthinking?

mojothehelpermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2010   #2
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
You can shake them off or push them off using the rim of your cockpit. Obviously you should try doing it yourself in a controlled situation, but I've never seen this as being a major problem. The bigger problem is usually finding your paddle after you've taken it off.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #3

Newport, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I got some hand paddles (polyethelene with webbing straps) for xmas and tried them out this last weekend. I thought they might be fun but a little limiting. They are amazing! They really do work well and rolling is easier than with a paddle. The water was cold and so getting in and out of them was a bit of a trick with neoprene gloves but I felt that if I was desperate that I could get them off with only a little effort. You can use one paddle to loosen the other or just hook them in your cockpit lip and pull them off. Bare handed they are no problem at all.

I especially liked boofing with hand paddles. You grab the lip of the falls and thrust your boat into the air. So fun!
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2010   #4

x, x
Paddling Since: x
I make hand paddles, finally got it dialed. we use bunji cord for the hand holds and are adjustable cord length. We also used a 1" webbing to make a leash for each hand with velcro strap. they pull off easily and stay attached to your arm so you dont lose them. I used a 55 gallon plastic drum, 5/16 black bunji and 1" webbing sew in velcro I got 8 pair per barrel. worth a shot if you have time. I can send you a pair for 25 bucks. you could easily make your own. pm for paddles, help, or design.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010   #5

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 04
Thanks all for the input.
mojothehelpermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbuilds View Post
I make hand paddles, finally got it dialed. we use bunji cord for the hand holds and are adjustable cord length. We also used a 1" webbing to make a leash for each hand with velcro strap. they pull off easily and stay attached to your arm so you dont lose them. I used a 55 gallon plastic drum, 5/16 black bunji and 1" webbing sew in velcro I got 8 pair per barrel. worth a shot if you have time. I can send you a pair for 25 bucks. you could easily make your own. pm for paddles, help, or design.
BOB!!!!

I need hand paddles (again). I think I told you but got no answer. I had the original ones with no leash and one fell off (sucked off) playing in the Glenwood wave. What about securing them with webbing to begin with? At least the wrist...

BTW IMO hand paddles make you roll more confidently, so no need to pull. Well unless you are in a sticky hole and there's no way out, but if so, shouldn't you have your normal paddle to begin with?
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010   #7

x, x
Paddling Since: x
Juan, see you today. I'll have pics up tonight.

bob
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010   #8

With hand paddles you don't pull
your skirt. You roll up. I've been HP only (no stick) for about 5 years and haven't had a need to swim. Once or twice I thought a out it then thought "hey, just roll up.". Even in the stickiest of holes I just hang on and ride it out.
robanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010   #9
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by robanna View Post
With hand paddles you don't pull
your skirt. You roll up. I've been HP only (no stick) for about 5 years and haven't had a need to swim. Once or twice I thought a out it then thought "hey, just roll up.". Even in the stickiest of holes I just hang on and ride it out.
Interesting technique. I wonder if I could use a regular paddle to "roll up" or "ride it out."
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010   #10

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSC View Post
Interesting technique. I wonder if I could use a regular paddle to "roll up" or "ride it out."
Using your paddle to roll back up... brilliant.

But agree rolling with hand paddles is easier.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hand paddles, hand paddling, nrs, propulsion gloves