Gypsum considering whitewater park - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-29-2011   #1

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Gypsum considering whitewater park

Hey, I don't know who to contact or how to make our presence known but per the below article Gypsum is considering a whitewater park along with boat ramps and other river improvements. Somebody who is down there should get the buzz writing emails or something:

The town of Gypsum considers river projects | VailDaily.com

eklars is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2011   #2

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I'm not really sure what's going on here. There's already a boat ramp about 100 yards downstream from the "broken bridge" at the Rittenhouse restaurant.

As far as the "Class IV rapid"... Phallezzz. More like "What's that?" (stands on cooler). "Oh.. OK" (two forward strokes, plop over a coupla rocks).

I don't think there's enough gradient to make a whitewater park anywhere around there. But then, I'm not a River Engineer.

I might use a boat ramp at the Lava Flows to shorten the trip to Bair Ranch.

I'd like to learn more - for sure.
teletoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011   #3

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
The boat ramp is like right next to the broken bridge! But there is enough gradient because my buddy and I found a sick wave that's river wide at high-water that is almost like a mini Glennwood! I think one big feature and one or two smaller play holes would be awesome! And as far as gradient the section Glennwood play park is on has very little as well! This would be awesome why would you be negative about bringing more whitewater features and parks to Colorado?
FCKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2011   #4

Paddling Since: 1993
Just clarification on a couple issues.

"There's already a boat ramp about 100 yards downstream from the "broken bridge" at the Rittenhouse restaurant"

This is the parking lot for the restaurant which is private property and is not technically a boat ramp even if certain people use it as such.

"As far as the "Class IV rapid"... Phallezzz. More like "What's that?" (stands on cooler). "Oh.. OK" (two forward strokes, plop over a coupla rocks)"

Have you ever taken any other type of water craft through this rapid like a canoe, SUP or kayak. I suspect different users might not all share your opinion.

"I don't think there's enough gradient to make a whitewater park anywhere around there. But then, I'm not a River Engineer"

WW Parks rely more on hydraulic grade than than bed slope. In the reachs surrounding the site there are several pool riffle sequences with bed slopes of greater than 1 percent. This is not the most ideal physical setting but Gypsum has great flows on the Eagle. Just remember its not only gradient that drives the Glenwood wave.
mrekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011   #5

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I’m not against whitewater improvements on the "Lower Lower Eagle" per se. If Gypsum has a half million to burn, I’d like it put towards the best use for the town.

Maybe Gypsum can buy an easement from the Rittenhouse instead of developing a new ramp?

I wonder if FCKS’s “sick wave” and the article’s “Class IV rapid” and my “plop over a coupla rocks” is the same place. In any case, there is nothing on that section Buzzards would consider Class IV.

It’d be great to find a way to fix up Rodeo Rapid just upriver.

Like I said, I’d like to learn more. Maybe Dan Woolley from RiverRestoration will chime in.
teletoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011   #6

Eagle, Colorado
Rodeo is in eagle! Not gypsum! different city/town and money! And the wave is a plop over unless highwater but still rittenhouse is closed so idk if it's even a worthy buy for gypsum! And I agree use the money wisely but I think that a white water park is better than the new dollar store!
Old 08-30-2011   #7

Eagle, Colorado
Also if gore creek/vail, clear creek/golden, Lyons/ St. Vrain , Avon/Eagle river have the water and capability to build a ww park! Gypsum can too! I believe there is enough water and it would be a great improvement and attraction to the town that has little besides Costco and an airport to offer!
Old 09-01-2011   #8

Eagle, Colorado
From the gypsum town manager:
1. Me: I have been asked by members of the Kayaking community as to what they can do to show support (and help if wanted) to further the efforts for a whitewater park in Gypsum. While I don't know much about it--several of the kids asked me for help in contacting the Town.

Town manager: The Town is pretty excited about this and we believe that there River Recreation Specific Grants coming available through GOCO. Any support or fund-raising would be most appreciative. If the Kayak Community would like to attend a Gypsum Recreation Committee to show their support and have some dialogue with the Committee that will make the ultimate recommendations to the Council, that would be probably great. Let me know and I can arrange that meeting.
Old 09-02-2011   #9

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I'd love to see the atleast one park feature designed for 200-300cfs, which seem to be offseason flows. It's warm enough in Gypsum for me year round (almost) and there are plenty of good in-season features nearby. Maybe we can get draft a letter we can all sign somehow? I can't make an in person meeting, even though I psyched for the potential here.
eklars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark