gunny park construction - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-16-2010   #1
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
gunny park construction

the third feature in the gunny park is underway. theyve created a large cofferdam of rock and fill ~12' and have channeled the entire raging 282 cfs through a channel on the left thats about 10' wide and fun as hell, although a tad shallow in the runout. theyve begun assembling boulders and materiel to start work. cant wait for next spring.

this of course is all UPSTREAM of the existing holes, just below the twin bridges themselves. For those familiar with the run, it will be replacing the top irrigation drop that sits just below the bridges.

ill try to post a picture later today

Advertisement

Old 11-16-2010   #2

YEEAAHH,, WOOHHOOO!!! A low water feature comes to Gunny! Now I will never move, sorry Yeti. Just kidding dude, just kidding. Yeah, a pic would be great. Seriously though, this should be great for Gunny paddling as we have great flows in the 'shoulder season'.
Old 11-16-2010   #3

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
We are having some water control issues the last couple of days, but we should be setting rock by tomorrow. The primary goal of this feature is to maintain the irrigation diversion for the 75 Ditch and improve navigation through their diversion structure. The third goal is another whitewater feature. Looking forward to starting to piece it together!
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2010   #4
God Amongst Men

I did not know it was going to be a low flow feature. neat. going to be interesting to see how the do it on a shallow curve of the river like that. Thanks for the updates Mike, I am enjoying watching the work!
Old 11-16-2010   #5

my vote is for yeti to speak on behalf of the valley.... shoot, he is so sick and the way he just put menges in his place, he could probably even speak on behalf of the front range siko crew too! get em yeti!

just be really careful when it gets above 280 bra... thats a bit pushy for the gunny
seanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010   #6

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harvey View Post
The primary goal of this feature is to maintain the irrigation diversion for the 75 Ditch and improve navigation through their diversion structure. The third goal is another whitewater feature. Looking forward to starting to piece it together!

Its seems like a bummer to spend all that money and have the whitewater feature be a secondary goal. Everyone knows that the Gunny park could really use a quality feature, especially at low water.
Making a good feature appears to be complicated, while improving navigation should be more simple. Therefore, wouldn't it make sense to focus on the feature, while making sure that navigation is improved and irrigation is maintained at the same time?
GunnyRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010   #7

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnyRyan View Post
Its seems like a bummer to spend all that money and have the whitewater feature be a secondary goal. Everyone knows that the Gunny park could really use a quality feature, especially at low water.
Making a good feature appears to be complicated, while improving navigation should be more simple. Therefore, wouldn't it make sense to focus on the feature, while making sure that navigation is improved and irrigation is maintained at the same time?
I would not classify anything that gets done in the river as simple, but I understand your perspective. this project was funded by the CWCB for the express purpose of trying to improve the existing irrigation diversion while not negatively impacting recreation. So in the big picture of the state's attitude towards recreation on rivers it is actually a huge step forward that they are paying for anything. Anthony Poponi got the grant and deserves a big thank you for his hard work.

I am on site for the next week or so and would be happy to show you what is going on and how we are trying to meet everyone's goals. Stop by anytime and holler at the guy in rubber boots standing in the hole.
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010   #8
God Amongst Men

Anthony is a stand up guy who would give you the shirt off his back. He lives breathes and bleeds gunnison and we are lucky to have a guy like him in our community!!

every time i was at the gunny park this past summer (which is a lot....) i would always find myself looking at the master plan poster they had set up on the message board, and dreaming of the day that we would see the result of the plans. well, we now have footbridges at both North Bridge and Twin Bridges, as well as the obvious river construction. the stoke level for our park is really high right now around here among my friends.

as far as the goal of the project, i always assumed it was 1) Irrigation Demands and 2) Boating, in that order, just like the re-built Psychadelic Falls just downstream. I just assumed they would work more towards a playable feature than the thundering cataract that is psycho, but still have a main goal of providing the water to the ditch. was this incorrect? regardless of the feature itself, i cant wait for all the other riverbed improvements as well, the fish boulders, the new wings, everything that will help make the park an actual adventure like Salida or BV and not just a two-hole-plop-n-drop. either way, i am not worried one bit with you guys at the head of the project, Mike. i know you guys will do your best and give us something truly solid to enjoy! thanks again!
Old 11-18-2010   #9
God Amongst Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlee View Post
my vote is for yeti to speak on behalf of the valley.... shoot, he is so sick and the way he just put menges in his place, he could probably even speak on behalf of the front range siko crew too! get em yeti!

just be really careful when it gets above 280 bra... thats a bit pushy for the gunny
sean i have a personal cutoff of 290. anything over in a riverbed the size of the gunny's is entirely WAY too much water.

and i represent only the the most eckstreem, super nar nar adreno junkie boaters from the best valley on the planet, front rangers need not apply
Old 11-18-2010   #10
God Amongst Men

PICTURES

top left is an overview, mike are you in this shot?
top right is the raging channel of death, or the "sean lee channel" as i like to call it. i do think i ran it before anyone else so fuck yeah im claimin and namin.
bottom left is from the fancy new footbridge
bottom right is all the boulders theyre going to use
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Overview 3.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	786.6 KB
ID:	3098   Click image for larger version

Name:	Channel of Death.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	853.1 KB
ID:	3099