Gunny Gorge tomorrow? (& beta request) - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-21-2007   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Gunny Gorge tomorrow? (& beta request)

Three of us from Durango are interested in driving up tonight to camp and paddle the Gunny Gorge on Saturday (Sep 22). Anyone else interested or planning to paddle? Hopefully we can connect to aid with shuttle.

Also, can anyone provide beta on the road and what kind of shape it's in? Is it dry or 4wd necessary? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks and see you on the water,

Mark Mastalski
[email protected]

ibyakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2007   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibyakn View Post
Also, can anyone provide beta on the road and what kind of shape it's in? Is it dry or 4wd necessary? Any help is appreciated!
The Chukar Trail road requires mid-high clearance 4wd when it is dry. It would be a serious challenge to get a car-based SUV down that road, you would probably bang a lot of rocks, but if you got class V driving skills you might make it. I have never driven it when wet but I have heard from numerous sources that it is basically impassable when wet. The shuttle takes about 3 hrs each way mainly due to the need to slow down for the off-roading. There is private takeout next to the public one and the folks there will run shuttle for you. It's $75 if I recall right and they need a seat in your vehicle for the ride to the put-in.

Gunnsion River Pleasure Park
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007   #3

Durango, Colorado
Thanks for the beta. New to the area so just trying to figure out where to go for the weekend. Any other thoughts on class IV stuff that doesn't require 3 hours of 4wd shuttling?

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2007   #4

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
There are three of us going tomorrow. We have a shuttle reserved for 8am (taking my 4Runner). Wouldn't have room for more than one other. Shuttle is $75 cash or $85 credit card. You need to call and make a reservation ahead of time as they need to arrange a driver (888-782-7542). Paying for the shuttle is worth it.

You are welcome to join us for the run.

Laurie
303-915-5208
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007   #5

Redstone, CO
I was there last weekend & the road is slow going, but not in too bad of shape. A stock truck should make it w/ no problems. The drive out for me was interesting... it started raining as I was driving away after the run. I made it out but not before I hit the ditch on the right, slid down the road sideways for a bit, hit the ditch on the left and then back down the middle! It really doesn't take much rain to make that road slick as ice and rain is in the forecast for Saturday. I can attest that the talk of the road being basically impassable when wet is not just hype. If the roads are dry, it might not take a full 3 hours, but it is long.

-Ryan
Kendarflugen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibyakn View Post
Thanks for the beta. New to the area so just trying to figure out where to go for the weekend. Any other thoughts on class IV stuff that doesn't require 3 hours of 4wd shuttling?
Probably only 1 or 1.5 hours of the shuttle is 4wd, the rest is highways and good dirt roads. Gunny Gorge is really a class III run with maybe one class IV rapid, but it is really a beautiful canyon and worth doing. The logistics are tough though and keep a lot of people from doing it or doing it on a regular basis.

At this point in the season there isn't a lot running - mainly the Gunnison, Colorado and Arkansas (low). The Colorado mostly offers class II with a few notable exceptions - Gore canyon (class V and a great classic), Barrel Springs (class v and iv, but quite short), Shoshone (class III, right below Barrel springs, short but fun, you can run laps here or just enjoy a scenic float for as far as you want with numerous takeouts downstream). The Gunnison has the black Canyon (class V with mandatory portages, rarely rafted due to the difficulty of the portages), Gunny Gorge, and the mostly flat water with good fishing until it hits the Colorado. The ark might be your best bet, the Royal Gorge is scenic and has good class III/IV rapids. it is boney and technical at this level but the commercial guys still raft it.

If you haven't checked out eddyflower.com yet they have flows and descriptions of all the runs in CO. Also americanwhitewater.com and southwestpaddler.com are both good resources. And you should invest in a copy of "Whitewater of the Southern Rockies" - Wolverine Publishing climbing and outdoor guidebooks
Old 09-21-2007   #7

Durango, Colorado
Thanks for the help and I have all of those resources, but of course it's hard to beat hearing from you helpful folks. We'll talk and get it figured out. Here's hoping for some rain!!!

Mark
Old 09-21-2007   #8

four corners, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2003
Peach Valley Road

I'm looking for some beta as well. I'm going in there next week, is it possible to pull a small gear trailer to Chukar Trail? Our group is trying to avoid taking 2 vehicles in there. I have a small trailer with about 10" clearance, don't know whether to take the trailer or another truck??? Any info would be much appreciated.

bs
bshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007   #9

The Rockwood Box probably has enough water now and the Piedra might come up for a few days in the coming month.
cadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007   #10

Boulder, Colorado
The trailer is going to be your own call. If you can 4 wheel with it I don't see why not, i don't remember any really tight turns on the road. But it is definitely a 4wd road.

Don't forget that there is a hike to the put in from the end of the road so you will have to carry your gear in. The trail itself is rocky and narrow. We tried to use a garden cart (two mtn bike wheels with a box mounted in between) to haul a raft in and it was a complete failure. Better to wrap the boat around a oar and have two people put it on their shoulders. Pack light : )