Gunny gorge this weekend? Or Chama? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-26-2018   #1

Bozeman, Montana
Gunny gorge this weekend? Or Chama?

Hello, I'm visiting family in Pagosa this week and I'm looking for someone to paddle with. I've always wanted to do the gunnison but don't know much about it. I left my creekboat at home but I have my playboat and a packraft with me. To complicate things, I also have my dog with me. He'd be fine in my camper for up to six hours or so as long as there's shade, or if I could meet up with some dog friendly folks who have a house for him to stay at that would be even better. I'd also love to check out the Chama if that's running- once again maybe complicated with the dog....

Cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2018   #2

Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
The Gunny Gorge would be a pretty long day trip at these flows, especially if you're running your own shuttle. There is shade at Pleasure Park, but not at the Chukar trailhead.
Duckins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Chama is in. 600 is about as good as it's likely to get this year. San Juan at the Pagosa park is just coming in too. You can put in at the Malt Shop to get an extra mile or two out of it. There is a run from Pagosa to Trujillo called Mesa Canyon that would go at this flow, but it would be a lot of really slow class II. You might like the East Fork San Juan. It's creeky, but a lot of fun and pretty continuous III- at these levels. If the gate is still closed you may have to walk your shuttle.

Gunny Gorge is a long drive. I would come up to the Ark Valley before going there. It's a shorter drive and has several choices of runs, with a lot more people to hook up with.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2018   #4

Colorado, Colorado
We have a group of 7 packrafters running the Gunny Gorge wilderness section this weekend. Camping at Pleasure park tonight and they will shuttle us to chukar TH @ 9am tomorrow morning. We plan on overnighting in the canyon on Saturday night, and slowly paddling out Sunday morning. If you are interested in joining us you can email me @ [email protected]
AzPackrafter is offline   Reply With Quote