Gunny Gorge Flows? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-23-2007   #1
-k-

Denver via GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Gunny Gorge Flows?

We are planning a kayak trip on Gunny Gorge trip this weekend and were curious on peoples thoughts on flows. Most of the info I have found recommends 700+, but it doesn't look like its obtained these levels very often for years (I am assuming most people are running it at less). If we are looking at 500 - 600 cfs is it worth it? Appreciate your help.

-k- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2007   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
The gorge is beautiful but it is a very easy class III at 700cfs AND there is a LONG paddle out on wide flat water. Also to consider: The put in requires one to carry about 1/2 mile in screaming heat, snakes etc. The put in road varies in quality and there is a fee for use of the parking area...

Don't wish to discourage but try it at 2100 cfs!
r_baronas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007   #3
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
just being in there is worth it.

the hike is isnt that bad, its all downhill, and its only a bitch of a road if its raining (then its impassable) or if its just rained (itll be a soupy adventure, but driveable....just dont go off).

the flows normally flow between 700 and 2200ish, but this summer has been much different. i know they really wanted to top off the aspinall wilson project (blue mesa/morrow pt/crystal) but theyve been extra stingy this year.

flows under 700 are possible, but expect some shallows. avoid the long windy afternoon paddle out by camping far down and then floating out in the morning hours. at the current level (605) its definitely doable in hardshells, and in my opinion is actually more fun, because the rapids are more technical and challenging, where at high levels it becomes a flush. its still worthwhile down to about 400 cfs. anywhere below that and expect lots of dragging.
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2007   #4

Hey Yeti, do you need high clearance to make it in on the shuttle road? I've heard varying reports.

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007   #5

on your sister, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNT View Post
Hey Yeti, do you need high clearance to make it in on the shuttle road? I've heard varying reports.

COUNT
fuck yes.

what's with this stupid 10 character min for a response crap?
tuberslickmysweatyballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007   #6

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
It's probably damn near impossible without a high-clearance 4x4 right now, especially with the monsoon rains that have been coming through the West Slope. The 1' deep dry runs turn to 2' deep off-camber mud bogs.

That road also tends to destroy Yak and Thule racks; because the ruts are so violent on loaded racks that they literally tear apart. That's a fun one to deal with, I'll tell ya.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007   #7

Blue Shiver, CO, Colorado
pleasure park runs shuttles

If you are worried about the trip down to Chukar get a crew together and get the guys at PP to run you down there in their suburban. Or you can have them drive your car to the take out...make sure you have a spare tire!! I wouldn't take a car down there. Awesome trip...I ran it as low as 650-800 (twice) in a 16 foot cat, so you shouldn't have any problems in a hard boat. If you care about fishing at all...take your rod!
smittyvwbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007   #8
God Amongst Men

oh yeah....a good truck or standard 4 wheel drive will make it. my tacoma used to rally that road, and my rav4 does equally as well. its really not too bad of a road in my opinion. but then again, i am used to driving lots and lots of dirt roads around here, so i dont really know what to say.

bring a fishing pole
Old 07-24-2007   #9

on your sister, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by yetigonecrazy View Post
its really not too bad of a road in my opinion.
never been on it after a rain have you?
tuberslickmysweatyballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007   #10
God Amongst Men

ahem, if you read my first post, you'll see i put that after rain its impassible....i was referring to the road when its dry