Gunny Gorge experts? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-06-2013   #1

GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Gunny Gorge experts?

I'm headed in for a packrafting overnight with some friends.

One friend can't start with us--wants to hike in via one of the lower trails and join us starting the second morning.

We plan/hope to stay at Boulder Garden camp. But I've never paid close attention to where exactly the hiking trails drop in, relative to this campsite.

So I'm trying to figure it out. Best I can tell, he'd want to come up/over Duncan Trail to get in above us. Is that right?

Then he'd have a ~1 mile float before landing in our laps?

Thoughts/suggestions/corrections appreciated.

Advertisement

Old 06-06-2013   #2

Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Ute trail is closer, about a mile from Boulder Garden, but the trail is longer, I think. See for yourself on the BLM's sweet online river map:

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...ge.-1.-1.1.gif
lookinathesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013   #3

Delta, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Duncan Works

Duncan is much shorter trail than Ute which would save about 2 miles hiking. He would have to float for about 3/4 of a mile farther. From Duncan to Boulder Garden it is a more of a float than one mile. One thing to think about is that it is Stone Fly season and camps are a much coveted thing, especially by the commercial trips, which race to the put in to get the camps that match the bugs. The chance of you getting Boulder Garden is pretty low, unless you plan on being at the register by 12:00 am the day of launch. If you are only going for a two day float then the chances are even slimmer as trips would have already signed up for that camp the day before. I have had a friend hike in mid trip and Ute Park is generally the best spot for meeting up as there are a lot of camp to choose from. There should also be overflow camps that the BLM puts up for the Rubber Hatch that coincides with the stones. Most of them are upstream of Ute but there are a few in Ute Park. Good luck.

P.S.

I have enjoyed your videos, and candor.
bmagtutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2013   #4

GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmagtutu View Post
Duncan is much shorter trail than Ute which would save about 2 miles hiking. He would have to float for about 3/4 of a mile farther. From Duncan to Boulder Garden it is a more of a float than one mile. One thing to think about is that it is Stone Fly season and camps are a much coveted thing, especially by the commercial trips, which race to the put in to get the camps that match the bugs. The chance of you getting Boulder Garden is pretty low, unless you plan on being at the register by 12:00 am the day of launch. If you are only going for a two day float then the chances are even slimmer as trips would have already signed up for that camp the day before. I have had a friend hike in mid trip and Ute Park is generally the best spot for meeting up as there are a lot of camp to choose from. There should also be overflow camps that the BLM puts up for the Rubber Hatch that coincides with the stones. Most of them are upstream of Ute but there are a few in Ute Park. Good luck.
I was worried about that--thanks for the confirmation. Guess we'll get what we get when we get down there @ noon. Only (possible) saving grace is that we're headed down on Friday AM instead of Sat. May not matter...

And thanks to lookinattheusun for the map--had looked but somehow not found that'n.
Old 06-07-2013   #5

Palisade, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
If you have the time, haul all your gear down the Chukkar and inflate boats (there is always a pump at the river) and tie up for nite. Hike back up and camp at trailhead campground......first thing in the AM hike down and launch...this lets you spend 2 nights on the river and avoids all of the commercials and horse packing operations....
F.A.A.C. Slim is offline   Reply With Quote