Gunny Gorge difficulty? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-03-2013   #1

Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Gunny Gorge difficulty?

I was looking for a good overnight trip with my 13 year old son here in CO that is somewhat remote, but not too technical. Done reading and gotten recommendations on Gunny Gorge, but given how secluded it is, wanted to confirm the difficulty level at flow of 500 or so. I think it's around 300 now, but saw a post with people thinking it may come up to 500 or 600 by August. Looking to run in a 2 person duckie.

I have experience on the Ark in several places including Browns (only once in my Duckie although it went ok) and big stretches of the area from salida to and excluding Gorge. I have heard Gunny is easier than Browns, but I've seem some posts putting it at 3+, which puts it right on par with Browns. Given the remote nature, I would probably skip it if truly 3+. Would appreciate any thoughts from those with experience here.

denali1322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013   #2

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I would say its way more technical than browns. It would suck to swim through any of the rapids. It's beautiful and an amazing trip. I think the flow is supposed to spike to 500 for only a day or two. I'm sure you will get some other feed back from some folks.
Old 06-03-2013   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
It is full of pool drops. It's technicality is because it is so tight with boulders. We went through on a couple rafts along with a guy in a cutthroat. He definitely had the easiest trip out of all of us because he was small and maneuverable. Some of those places were exactly the width of our 13 ft aire making for some sporty rides. There was another group in a 16 ft aire running PR. They did it but I have no idea how they fit through some of those places.
BaseCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013   #4

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1985
Gunny Flow

See previous MB post with informed guesses at Gunny Gorge flow/peak for this season.
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ighlight=Gunny

Thread also has some great pack-raft footage at the current 300cfs flow.
I'll be launching soon in a 13' kayak along with two cats, 12' and 13'.
Expecting lots of rocks, but excellent fishing.
Rojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013   #5

Grand Junction, Colorado
Hiked down this weekend to fish. Varity of boat sizes making their way down. Talked with a few 14'rs and said its tight but doable. I mentioned I have a 14'r and thinking about floating it and none said hold off till the flows bump. An IK would seem perfect for the few rapids I saw between Bobcat and Ute Park.

Asked the BLM making the way down to maintain the hiker shitters about what he knew about the flows. Once the north fork slows the users downstream will still make their calls so water would need to come from somewhere.
ssoren1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013   #6

GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
There's really only one IV: "Cable". I think it's more like III+ at these flows and it is easily scoutable and portageable.

Everything else (at ~300cfs) is very simple, easily scoutable, and not remotely pushy.
Old 06-03-2013   #7

Castle Rock, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
There's really only one IV: "Cable". I think it's more like III+ at these flows and it is easily scoutable and portageable.

Everything else (at ~300cfs) is very simple, easily scoutable, and not remotely pushy.

Would you suggest shooting for higher flows than 300. As you know, sometimes lower water makes it more techical, especially if lots of boulders.
Old 06-03-2013   #8

Castle Rock, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff N' Wett View Post
I would say its way more technical than browns. It would suck to swim through any of the rapids. It's beautiful and an amazing trip. I think the flow is supposed to spike to 500 for only a day or two. I'm sure you will get some other feed back from some folks.
When you say "way more technical" are you saying in comparison to say "raft ripper" or "seven stairs" in browns? There are two reasonably technical rapids in browns: pinball and Widowmaker. Curious if you think Gunny is significantly more technical than even those two.
Old 06-03-2013   #9

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I would say the squeeze STurn and cable are more tight and technical than pinball and widow maker. I think in a ducky it would be a great trip. I would watch that pak raft video it's a good video scout.
Old 06-03-2013   #10

GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by denali1322 View Post
Would you suggest shooting for higher flows than 300. As you know, sometimes lower water makes it more techical, especially if lots of boulders.
I've only ever run it as high as ~600. It isn't hugely different from 300 to 600, but from reading your original question I think you'd be happier/less anxious at ~300. The aforementioned "Cable" rapid becomes much more technical, but everything else just gets less pushy.

Just my $.02, but I have run it ~8 times in the last year, and I'm a class IV boater only on a very good day.