Gunny Gorge Advice - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #11

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
Base flow is ~330. Rarely gets lower than that (not in at least 8 or 9 years that I've seen) and is decidedly class II-III at that flow.

Up to about 700 is still very easy II+ to III+ read and run, with the exception of ~4 rapids near the end that could probably be called IV-. All scoutable, all portageable if desired.

Above 1000 some rapids start to develop stronger hydraulics and some of the last handful of rapids are pushing legitimate IV.

It's a great backyard run. I've hiked in and floated out more than 50 times in the last ~7 years, mostly because I was living in GJ and it's the closest thing to a 'backyard run'.

I've taken many raw beginners down the Gorge in packrafts at up to ~1000cfs, because the rapids are short and easy and always end in a long, slow pool where we can stuff them back in their boats if they fall out.

I almost never drove all the way down to the Chukar trailhead. There's a small side road ~4 miles up -- just before the road starts to drop more steeply -- where we always parked, and just walked in from there. From there it was one hour of hiking to the river, any 2wd car could make it that far, and you saved time overall by not needing to drive down (and back out) to retrieve your shuttle vehicle.

Once you get the hang of Chukar down, try going in via the Warner Route. Shorter but much steeper hike in, and a handful of bonus rapids in the added ~7 miles of river that you get to see. Also bigger walls up there, the better to make you feel insignificant.

Enjoy.
Ooooh. Tell me more about the Warner Route! I am unfamiliar with it and have always just walked down Chukar.

How's the road in? The trail itself? Does it put you below all the Black Canyon gnar?

I don't see it on this map

https://www.blm.gov/sites/blm.gov/fi...rochure_HI.pdf

Thanks

jamesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #12
ADVENTR

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesg View Post
Get yourself a new map

https://www.nps.gov/blca/planyourvis...ackcountry.pdf
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #13

Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
The Warner Route is a pretty tough hike for many people with no gear. I can't imagine it being worthwhile to take a hardshell boat down, but a packraft would be perfect.
Duckins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #14

GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesg View Post
Ooooh. Tell me more about the Warner Route! I am unfamiliar with it and have always just walked down Chukar.

How's the road in? The trail itself? Does it put you below all the Black Canyon gnar?

I don't see it on this map

https://www.blm.gov/sites/blm.gov/fi...rochure_HI.pdf

Thanks

The road is paved 100%, as it's in the Black Canyon Nat'l Park.

Trail is steep, and if it hasn't rained in awhile it's loose. My recollection is that it drops 2700' in 2.7 miles.

I have one friend that did it with his creek boat. He's super fit and made it look easy, though I know it wasn't easy.

Yes, below all the gnar. There's one standout IV below the Warner Route put in, but it's easy to see, easy to scout, easy to walk around if so desired.