Gunnison Whitewater Park revamped! - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-22-2006   #1

California Canoe and Kayak Oakland California
Send a message via MSN to Parkito
Gunnison Whitewater Park revamped!

Thanks to Gunnison County, the Gunnison Whitewater Park got revamped this Spring and the second feature is back. Right now at 1000 cfs its a nice fast glassy surf with spins. I bet it will look even better with another 1000 in her. The first feature right now is a fun little wave with a good pile. Come check it out before seeing No Big Names 4 on Thursday May 4.

Parkito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2006   #2

today at 900 the top wave was real nice. very smoothe and you could stay in all day. two other boaters there today. I didn't venture into the lower wave because I am just getting off the couch. but it looks nice.

is there a clean up shedualed this year? What is the padde club doing? Do we need a more active "club"? I was thinking about getting the Gunnison Navy back together. I don't think they have met since the 50's.
onebakedpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006   #3

Gunnison Valley Paddle Club

We do need a more active club. At least a great representation of the boaters in the valley so we can go to commisioner meetings and voice our opinions with confidence and clarity. My thoughts of a good club would have boaters of all levels meet once every week, maybe at the Almont resort, to meet each other and exchange boating plans and meet other paddlers with similar ability levels to boat with. We could also plan events like clean ups, local rodeo series, and other events.
How about it? Anybody else in? How about Tuesdays at 6 p.m. at the Almont Resort. Let me know.

Sincerely,

Matt Parker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2006   #4

Ill see you there. tuesday April 25, 6pm Almont resort in the bar. It would be great to have representation from all users ie fisherpeople, rafters, commercial and kayakers. If anyone sees Paul Morgan, tell him about it, It would be great to have him there too.
Old 04-23-2006   #5

student wasted state, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Send a message via AIM to vaultman14
i wish i could make it but i have to work on tuesday night
josh
Old 04-24-2006   #6

This is a shameless post to get this back to the top. But also wanted you to know that the park is looking great. It has bummped up about 100 cfs to around a grand and it is the best i have ever seen it.

The upper wave is nice and mellow and easy to get in and stay in. Great for carving back and forth and a nice steep (er) section on river left.

The lower wave is wide steep and fast. Hope it stays at this level for a while.

if you cannot make it to the informal get-together let me know and I will try to keep you informed.

some things I would like to talk about are:

In stream access issues. ie How can Harmel's ranch puposefully cut down trees to form a river wide strainer on the Taylor river.

Put in/takeout access issues. ie parking, signage, protocol, removing tire popping or toe stubbing metal (North Bridge).

WW park. ie How do desisions get made concerning maintenance and enhancement? Who is going to our public officials to secure priority to maintain our investment.

[email protected]

Thank you,
Greg
Old 04-24-2006   #7

Is tommorrow at the almont a go?
sandoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #8

student wasted state, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Send a message via AIM to vaultman14
yo matty you still selling that cart?

and get this i have giardia ahah i guess thats what i get for going to the river everyday haha

oh and the flow was the highest this year and there is only 2 ways of getting into the wave and thats threw a littl green water section or getting out and catching from the top

you should post anyhting that goes on with the meeting cause i have to work at 4pm sorry wish i could make it
josh
Old 04-25-2006   #9

Re: Gunnison Valley Paddle Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkito
We do need a more active club. At least a great representation of the boaters in the valley so we can go to commisioner meetings and voice our opinions with confidence and clarity. My thoughts of a good club would have boaters of all levels meet once every week, maybe at the Almont resort, to meet each other and exchange boating plans and meet other paddlers with similar ability levels to boat with. We could also plan events like clean ups, local rodeo series, and other events.
How about it? Anybody else in? How about Tuesdays at 6 p.m. at the Almont Resort. Let me know.

Sincerely,

Matt Parker

I couldn't agree w/ you more, Matty!!! Count me in!
Withdrawn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006   #10

Tonight at 6pm at the Almont is a go!

Giradia sucks, I had it once, ruined my social life for about three months.

MP

Tags
ark