Gunnison whitewater park fix? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-16-2008   #1

Gunnison whitewater park fix?

Once again they allegedly fix our park! Are they gonna come do a tune up like they did in Buena Vista? IT is not even remotely funny how bad the park has gotten. I thought Lacy and Harvey came in last fall? Once again we have a nice joke for everyone to laugh at as they drive by on their way to go someplace ELSE! Doesn't recourse exist anymore?

sandoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2008   #2
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
sandoz, you gotta be patient, man...

the park has suffered from the effects of high water, and the city knows this. they are aware of the situation and are attempting to remedy it, but its going to be a longer term effort. Theyve talked with Lacy and have a pretty good idea of what they want and need to do to fix it- but at this point we have a 138% of normal snowpack and there is likely to be a HIGH water season here as you know, and frankly, since the park is fucked for now anyway, the best course of action is to let the high water this year tear through and then go in and fix it later. if they were to fix it now, it would likely not be set by the time the floods arrive and everything would get fucked up anyway.

stay tuned people, the gunnison park will be awesome again one day, I promise.

if you want some more information, call the city at 641-8000 and ask for Paul Morgan's extension. He is a kayaker that works for the city and is a really really nice guy to boot, he usually has a pretty good line on the most recent updates regarding the park, and is the guy i call when i have questions!
Old 04-16-2008   #3

I know paul and talk to paul about the park. Everyone has been talking all this positive talk. I want to talk to the finance department and see how much has been spent on this debacle compared to the salida park! I have heard about all the finger pointing between the two parties, i just would like us to have a functioning park. Was I planning on spending alot of time there with all of this years runoff? NO..... But, it deserves to be RIGHT regardless. Three years of patience is real cute, i am glad you enjoy it yeti........ Am I a great playboater? No...... But I want a good feature to learn more skills on! I helped build the kiosk at the park and personally roofed it! I donated time over the years and even sprayed the 12" diameter bee's nest in the kiosk last year with killer I personally bought. The park has been neglected over the years even beyond just the two features in the river........ Not flaming, just my 2cents cause i was full.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2008   #4
&d

gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
me speaking candidly on the GWP:

yea, gunny lost me, soon my buzz profile will show me posting from durango and not gunny, not because the park sucks but for the same reason that the park sucks

my hopefully thoughtful, final comments to the gunnison locs about the park...

screw it. gunnison was more of a paddling destination before it had a park.
there is nothing special about a whitewater park anymore.

That park was doomed from the get-go.

The project should have been suspended on Rick Stock's departure, "pending comperable input."

The gunnison area may not see a paddler both as skilled and highly regarded as Mr. Stock for a long long time to come, if ever again.

I say that because that combination of attributes is what it is going to take to really get that park fixed, and because I always wish Rick was around to tell me why I suck at kayaking.

Why the GWP sucks is because Gunnison has no real whitewater leadership right now. Nobody on the scene combines the command of public respect with the world class skill someone truly must have in order to represent the Gunnison area's paddling. Tough luck I guess.

I would still come for the festival but travelling extensively for fat tire and a show is something I hope to leave in the past.
&d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008   #5

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandoz View Post
Once again they allegedly fix our park! Are they gonna come do a tune up like they did in Buena Vista? IT is not even remotely funny how bad the park has gotten. I thought Lacy and Harvey came in last fall? Once again we have a nice joke for everyone to laugh at as they drive by on their way to go someplace ELSE! Doesn't recourse exist anymore?

we did some improvements this fall. they were the types of improvements that could be done with no water control and no grout (i.e. cheap) if things are not working right now at 700cfs I would like to know what it looks like. Could someone post pictures?

I believe that Gunnison County would like to make some more substantial improvements to the Park. All I can tell you from my years of working with the City of Salida as a citizen boater and other communities as a professional consultant, is that positivity and a willingness to contribute will go a lot further than complaining from the sideline. And I am not saying that is what you are doing I am just offering my advice.

In Salida we raised 2/3's of the money privately to build and maintain the park. A lot of municipalities in Colorado are really suffering with TABOR and the economy and things like whitewater parks are rarely as big a priority as fixing roads or providing other services.

As a fellow paddler I feel your frustration and I really want to help make Gunni rip.
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008   #6

Thanks for the info mike! I would love to help, pm me with any suggestions.... My friend Marjo lives over in salida and when i go to see her it would be great to sit down and chat someday? I want to help, not bitch......... I will get pictures of the features in the next couple days.
Old 04-17-2008   #7
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
i dont like the park right now, sandoz....i am in full agreeemnt (and I believe i stated so above...) that the park is f-u-c-t and sucks ass right now. At this points its a better rapid on a float trip through there than it is a play feature. sucks!

and i agree with &d on the lack of leadership. if paul wasnt already buried by his job, he would be the best kind of person for the job, but again, he's slammed all the time with his work at the city. boaters in CB tend to get more fired up and are more vocal about the whitewater, most of the paddlers and boaters in gunnison are quiet booze cruisers who dont give a shit as long as they can still float.

i will take and upload some pics on my lunch break today
Old 04-17-2008   #8

crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
park

....mike, the bottom hole still looks flat....or washed out! ...at 300 cfs til yesterday's flow....the same look....FLAT...redirection of flow didn't help....seems to need gradient.....i think the original hole was super fun at all flows 350-3500cfs....a long season even.....i feel the large boulders that got stacked and cemented...in the main flow area...collapsed due to the river cobble underneath gettin' blasted down river....undermined due to high fast flows....it lacks a good "ramp"....flatspin-MASTER420CB
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008   #9

Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
yeah, the park sucks. I'm bummed. When does the muffin come out?
Old 04-17-2008   #10
&d

gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Check this gauge:

MORROW POINT RES

The level on morrow point has to be very close to 7151 feet or lower. If thats going on, and both res. are releasing, your good to go.

(I wouldn't expect to see the muffin for some time to come considering the water surplus)
&d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark