Gunnison River...Trip, dogs, camping, permits, etc. - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 05-12-2010   #1

Kayenta, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2006
Gunnison River...Trip, dogs, camping, permits, etc.

Greetings,
Looking to do a nice 2-3 day raft trip in early June along the Gunnison. What would be a nice stretch for intermediate rafters? Are any of these runs dog friendly? What would be flow be like in early June? What do I need to know about permits, put ins/take-outs? Thanks in advance for the good info.

bucket52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2010   #2

conifer, Colorado
Nice try Troll. Make sure to leave dog turds at every stop.
mr. compassionate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010   #3

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Welcome to Mr C's world. He's just sharing his life experience with the rest of us.

As for the Gunny:
The stretch from Delta to Whitewater is pleasant Class I float and has some good camping at the mouth of Dominguez Canyon. I don't think you need a permit and I think its dog friendly.

When you're here, there'll be lots of rivers in that area running - The Taylor River, Lake Fork of Gunny, etc. Hopefully some other folks can give info on them. You can also do a search.

Have a good trip!

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2010   #4
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
The put in is pretty decent, the take out at whitewater is a different story though we had to unload rafts 1 at a time and then carry the boats under the train tracks to the trailers. Not that hard but a pain in the butt. There was broken glass everywhere.
Dominguez canyon has some great spots to camp at, get there before the rental canoes go there and take over. we saw other spots before dominguuez canyon If you go afew more hours down you will hit a beautiful beach to camp at. Make sure to bring a groover and a firepan as the rangers are out and stopped at our site as my buddy was having his morning constitution wlked right by him and asked me where the groover was set up(another time to chalk up to his dislike of my groover placement)
Overall a beautiful float that I would do again
Old 05-12-2010   #5
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
oh yeah, clean up after the pooch and bring a fishing pole
Old 05-12-2010   #6

conifer, Colorado
I'm sorry if I mistook you, the poster, for a troll. I thought you were provoking all of the d-bag dog haters! Great section other than misquitoes is the Gunnison at Escalante to Whitewater. There is a great side hike at Dominquez with waterfalls and great swimholes.

The only drawback-you need to be on alert for a vagrant that goes by the name of Grif. He's known to brew wicked moonshine, drink Schlitz and eat turkey legs while floating in his beat grey army raft with a motor attached.
Old 05-12-2010   #7

conifer, Colorado
[QUOTE=Andy H.;183973]Welcome to Mr C's world. He's just sharing his life experience with the rest of us.

As for the Gunny:
The stretch from Delta to Whitewater is pleasant Class I float and has some good camping at the mouth of Dominguez Canyon. I don't think you need a permit and I think its dog friendly.

When you're here, there'll be lots of rivers in that area running - The Taylor River, Lake Fork of Gunny, etc. Hopefully some other folks can give info on them. You can also do a search.

I don't believe Yakgirl would consider the section that almost killed her class 1.
]