Gunnison River Festival Aug.15-17 (plus more) - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 08-06-2008   #1

Gunnison River Festival Aug.15-17 (plus more)

Escape the heat and join us for a “cool” weekend!Tired of the heat? Join us for tons of fun in one of the “coolest” places in Colorado for the Gunnison River Festival! Kayaking, art, food and fun!Come “Celebrate Our Rivers” at the Gunnison River Festival.

RAFTING, KAYAKING, & BIKING:

FREESTYLE KAYAK CHALLENGE – Loops, space, godzillas, and grinds. Need we say more?

BOATER X – Been to a motor cross race? Same thing – just with kayaks. Expect carnage!

TAYLOR RIVER DOWN RIVER RACE - 400 cfs on the Upper Taylor! Raft or kayak through this beautiful canyon!

COMMUNITY RAFT RACE AND RACE A RAFT – Rafters and runners team up for a race to the finish for the coveted golden paddle!

TOWNIE BIKE RACE - Costumes, townie bikes, chaos! And it’s free! Yes free!

LONGBOARD CONTEST - Sound insane? It is! Watch these geographically challenged surfers charge it. Don’t tell them they’re in Colorado, it justconfuses them.

FUN FOR KIDS & PETS:KIDS CLIMBING WALL COMPETITION – For kids that like some adventure! Climb the 25 foot wall and enjoy the view from the top!

KIDZ ZONE - Especially for kids! Moon bounce, games, and activities for kids of all ages.

FOAM BOAT RACE – Remember the pine box derby? Try making a kayak out of foam and race it on our extreme course!

SIDEWALK CHALK CONTEST - Show off your art skills and your appreciation of rivers with this water themed sidewalk chalk contest!

GUNNISON VALLEY ANIMAL WELFARE LEAGUE – Dunk-a-Dog Contest - Wear your dog out with a variety of fun events!

ART, FOOD, & MUSIC:“CELEBRATION OF RIVERS” ARTIST RECEPTION AND READINGS – Visit the Gunnison Gallery for a great displays of art celebrating our rivers.Poerty and prose readings will add to the diversity of visual art submitted.

GET YOUR SWING ON! – Join us Friday night for a great time at the Gunnison Arts Center with the Swing Doctors!

GUNNISON FARMER’S MARKET - Farm fresh produce, baked goods, meats, and prepared foods.

FABULOUS FOOD - As you feast your eyes on fantastic river activities, don’t forget to treat your taste buds to a savory snack and refreshingbeverage from one of our many vendors. New Belgium on tap!

MORE LIVE MUSIC – Join us for the “White Trash Party” and awards ceremony on their outdoor patio and enjoy the glorious Gunnison night sky. Bring your dancin’ shoes and your best costume!

DUTCH OVEN COOKOFF – Show off your Dutch Oven skills or sample some delicious campfire specialties.

BLACK CANYON BLUEGRASS NIGHT – Get your bluegrass on with Greensky Bluegrass Band @ The Eldo in Crested Butte

RIVER AWARNESS WEEK:STATE OF THE UPPER GUNNISON PRESENTATION Learn about the water quality and quantity issues in the Upper Gunnisonand how local organizations and agencies are working to protect local waters for future generations of locals and visitors.

COAL CREEK WATERSHED COALITION – Join for this fun and interactive hike and water quality sampling demonstration.<p>STANDARD MINE HIKE – See all the improvements through the EPA’s remediation efforts at the Standard Mine.

HIKING TOUR OF THE PEANUT MINE – Take a leisurely stroll through the restored Peanut Mine site and hear about the efforts made to restorethis site.Event schedule is subject to change

– please check www.gunnisonriverfestival.com for the most recent schedule of events. Check our website for details on event locations!

FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT: Anthony Poponi, [email protected], (970) 596-7496,234 N. Main St. Suite 3C, Gunnison, CO 81230.

Osgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2008   #2

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I am stoked for this event. Should be a fun "Back to School" end of the season get together. I am definitely psyched about the Taylor Race.

Anthony needs Freestyle Judges, if you want a hotel room for the weekend and can no the difference between a trick nasty and McWu you should email him and he will set you up.
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #3

California Canoe and Kayak Oakland California
Send a message via MSN to Parkito
Gunnison River

Nice job keeping this together, I am going to try to swing in there somehow.

Much love,

Matt Parker
Parkito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2008   #4

I'm excited for Gunny this year - It's going to be a great event. Good cash prizes too!

If anyone is interested in how the feature looks I'll be posting pictures within a few days.

Parkito!!!! That would be sick if you somehow made it here for the fest!
Meng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #5

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
whats that say feature like? wave, hole, wavehole? does grinding mean it has a killer lip?
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspermike View Post
whats that say feature like? wave, hole, wavehole? does grinding mean it has a killer lip?
Last time I was there it was a glassy wave with a surging, breaking pile. Pics soon.
Meng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #7

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
where is the "North Bank" Put-In on the Taylor? Thanks.-
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #8
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
im not sure where that is. SOUTH bank is the takeout for the upper and the launch for the middle, NORTH bank is a USFS campground on the opposite side of the river, but there is no ramp or any kind of boater access there, thats why they built south bank...... probably a typo....
Old 08-07-2008   #9

Taylor race will be from the commercial put-in for the upper Taylor (just above Initiation and below Tod's Slot). Take out will be South Bank (bridge take-out above Harmel's).
Old 08-07-2008   #10

About the Community raft race: Along with the Community Raft race is the Race-a-Raft foot race. Starts and ends at the same place. One is on the river and one folows the road. Can you beat the rafts down to the take-out? Just guessing- it is about a three mile run.

Contact Anthony for more info. [email protected]