Gunnison gorge - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-24-2009   #1

longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 07
Gunnison gorge

Am planning to float the gunnison below black canyon nat monument. Has anyone floated this section? If so what was the cfs? Am wondering what the whitewater is like, i am an intermediate rafter and would like any advise on how to run the rapids, ect? Any rapids that would worry U? Thanks

slowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2009   #2

frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
The gunny gorge wilderness website has a very nice description of the line through each rapid. It is a little boney under 1000cfs. Class III with some wrap rocks here and there, but pretty straight forward.
mitchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009   #3

longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 07
Mitchman I have rafted the blue below green mountain dam and the colorado from pumphouse to state bridge. Is my expierence enough for this trip to the gunnison? Also are u saying that 1200cfs would be better? I have heard that cable rapid is tough. have u done it? Any hints on packing the raft to keep things dry? I have dry bags,ect. Any advice is appreciated.
slowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2009   #4

frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
It's pool drop class III you should be alright. There are a few more technical rapids that you should scout, Boulder garden, the squeeze, and cable. The map you can get at the put in are very good and easy to tell were you are at by all of the camp sites. It is truly one of the most beautiful canyons around! The hardest part is getting to the trail head and then getting you raft to the river. 4 wheel drive with some clearance and if it's raining don't even think about it. Not sure if you know about all of those logistics?
mitchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009   #5

Winter Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchman View Post
It's pool drop class III you should be alright. There are a few more technical rapids that you should scout, Boulder garden, the squeeze, and cable. The map you can get at the put in are very good and easy to tell were you are at by all of the camp sites. It is truly one of the most beautiful canyons around! The hardest part is getting to the trail head and then getting you raft to the river. 4 wheel drive with some clearance and if it's raining don't even think about it. Not sure if you know about all of those logistics?
I agree with Mitchman, it is a great trip. The rapids will be more technical than lower blue and upper c but offer easy scouts. The drive is 4wd and definatley don't try if it is raining. Well worth the efforts, hire the horses for hauling the gear down. Wilderness area so some rules apply, no fires ect. Have fun.
bigwatertoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009   #6

I've run the stretch at 900 and 465. At 465 it was very low even for 11' - 1 man cats. 900 was easy in the 11' cats. I would think a 12-13' raft below 700 would find a fair path. Bigger than 14' and it's going to be rough.

For experience you might run Brown's Canyon before hand when the water drops a bit. OR
anyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009   #7

Or you might try the Roaring Fork?
anyfish is offline   Reply With Quote