Guide Training Programs?? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-04-2009   #1

Guide Training Programs??

Greetings everyone! It's good to be here...
I've been doing alot of research online about different Kayak/Rafting training programs and thought I might ask around as well for some advice.
I have aspirations of becoming a trip leader/guide and am wanting the All-Around "best" company I can find.
The one I keep coming back to is offered by the company Esprit Rafting Inc. in Ottawa. The program is a 90 day intensive course called W.I.L.D.
So, I guess my question is: has anyone here heard of this program? Anyone done it? Is it worth the Hefty pricetag? (assuming I can afford it?)
Also, any OTHER programs out there somewhere that are similiar to this one?
Any help would be most appreciated..thanx

molakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2009   #2
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
If you want some serious, world class guide training this spring, contact Rocky Mountain Adventures in Fort Collins. Ask to be trained by Grey Bush.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009   #3

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
If you want some serious, world class guide training this spring, contact Rocky Mountain Adventures in Fort Collins. Ask to be trained by Grey Bush.
I dont want to trash Grey Bush, but Dave Costlow and RMA may be the worst company on the Poudre to work for. The Poudre is a great place to Rookie- Filter plant runs are few and far between so you will spend most of your season running quality Class III-IV the day after your checkout run. Check with A-1, Wandurlust, or Mountain Whitwater Descents. Skip the hefty price tag anywhere and train for free- usually if you comit to stay a year or two. Paying for guide training is a scam.
AKATief is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2009   #4
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKATief View Post
Skip the hefty price tag anywhere and train for free- usually if you comit to stay a year or two. Paying for guide training is a scam.
You're kidding right? While I agree the 90 day course is probably excessive, how can you expect an outfitter to give you quality training for free? You expect an outfitter to trust a guide is going to stay around for 2 years? What if he fails the course and is not worth hiring?

Try telling your EMT instructor you shouldn't pay cause your going to work for the ambulance crew for 2 years they would laugh at your face.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009   #5

Littleton, Colorado
I have never guided anywhere that charged for training, there aint that much to teach. Once you are shown a couple ferry angles and a few lines the rest is "kamakazi boating" (following the commercial trips in a boat full of trainees- each trainee taking a turn with the guide stick until you get your required miles) You can teach a monkey to steer a raft. Good guiding is learned by hard knocks and sheer experience. Having an instructor in your boat past day 3 is counter productive. If every raft company charged for training- they would run out of guides real quick.

Lots of companies provide on the job training. Who is seriously going to pay to learn how to make 80 bucks a day? And yes- we do train our EMT's for free- Paramedics owe us 6 years (prorated) after we train them for free. And this is just rafting- not saving lives!
Old 02-04-2009   #6
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
well I am not sure I would want to hire someone who just was thrown in a boat and told to go nuts, see you after you do this for 50 hours.

buzzards who is crazy: me or akatief?
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009   #7

Fort Collins, Colorado
First I am not sure about other rivers but all the companies that I know of on the Poudre charge for raft guide training. Probably because it is a river that you need training for and cant just put a monkey in the boat and let them figure it out...people would die. Most companies will give you a portion of it back after each year you work for them, it is their way of "forcing" guides to work for them for multiple seasons because lets face it, river guides are not the most commiting people.

Second before you go throwing out YOUR opinion of who is the worst company to work for maybe molakia should take a look at rookie carnage this past summer. RMA had their share but I would not say they were alone by any means. I am not going to bash other companies but RMA, as with all the others, have some great people working them and can train a guide just as well as anyone else on the river...and they will teach you how to run rivers, not just memorize lines for the Poudre. I have met some awsome guides who got their start at RMA.

Molakia if you want to learn to raft guide I would pick a river that you think is cool and you want to work on, then find a company that trains people there. Classes are great but there is no replacement for being trained then getting river experience all summer long. (and the Poudre is a great one to start on if you are coming to FOCO)
teleboater5.13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009   #8

Littleton, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by teleboater5.13 View Post
before you go throwing out YOUR opinion
Remember, Teleboater... all anyone on this forum is really good for is opinions, so don't be mad. In my opinion- I have never met a raft guide that I didn't like, but allot of great guides doesn't make the company a good place to work. I have worked for RMA... In my opinion, I wouldnt go back. I Rookied on the Poudre, for free, but who knows... things change. We are still training guides for free on Clear Creek- but you know you better be cleaning some booties!
Old 02-04-2009   #9

Steamboat, Colorado!
Paddling Since: 2005
Let the Poudre Company bashing begin......
I worked for A-1 for 3 seasons, the company itself is a bit disorganized but the other guides are why you work there..... If you like alcohol train at A-1! The trainer over there is one of the best guides on the Poudre, but you are not guaranteed much work if any!
Wanderlust is the shit, they aren't training this year!
As for the rest of the Poudre companies I can't say much about them.... Everybody has carnage, would it be fun otherwise? The Poudre is awesome and it is a fun way to make money, the town is awesome!
And you are going to have to pay! Just don't pay a ton and make sure there is a high likelihood that you will get work
jen84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009   #10

student
Jen didnt you flip on filter plant? wander burn
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote