Guide opportunities flat and/or class 1 water - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 04-04-2007   #1

Guide opportunities flat and/or class 1 water

Hi,

I am very much interested in changing careers to do heart work. I'd love to guide rafting or canoe trips on flat water or class 1-2. I don't know how to canoe but I know I would learn fast! Are there any outfitters who hire for this type of guiding. I am petite and it would be very difficult for me to pull someone out of the water - hence I don't want to lead trips where I need to do that. I also have a hearing challenge - but that's another story.

Thanks in advance for any insight,

Enjoy,
Annie

anne_colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2007   #2

Response to message

Try the upper Colorado right below Gore Canyon, it is called the Pumphouse section, or on the Ruby Horsethief/Loma section out near Grand Junction. They are both flat with maybe one or two class 2 rapids. What town do you live in, that would probably help in your decision?

I am very much interested in changing careers to do heart work. I'd love to guide rafting or canoe trips on flat water or class 1-2. I don't know how to canoe but I know I would learn fast! Are there any outfitters who hire for this type of guiding. I am petite and it would be very difficult for me to pull someone out of the water - hence I don't want to lead trips where I need to do that. I also have a hearing challenge - but that's another story.

Thanks in advance for any insight,

Enjoy,
Annie[/quote]
wadekeith2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007   #3

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Send user "CRG" a message on here. The do a lot of upper C trips and were looking for trainees.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2007   #4

Hi Anne, contact Centennial Canoe, sounds like the type of trips you might be looking for. It's already April however with the season fast upon us, not to damper your enthusiasm but it might be difficult to obtain the certifications and training required to guide this late for this year. Definitely make some calls around and see what they have to say, good luck in your career change!

here's the website for Centennial's employment page:
Employment
I honestly don't know anything more about them than you can find on that website but the trips look to be more nature/culture oriented than adrenaline based which sounded like what you were after. They are also sponsoring that Mike Mather SRT class at the end of the month so that would be something to inquire about as well.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote