Guatemala and Honduras - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-29-2005   #1

Guatemala and Honduras

Anybody gonna' be in Guatemala or Honduras boating between Nov.21 and Dec. 21?I am flying into Guat.city 11/21 with boat looking to boat in Guat. and/or Honduras the first and last weeks of trip with 2+ weeks in Belize in the middle.Mostly boat III-IV,maybe a touch more difficult after some warm up runs,if the character of the river is right,I like smaller te
chnical stuff better than big powerful stuff.
Anyone down there at that time[i am flexible],or have any suggestions or beta/ Thanx

cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2005   #2

Paddling Since: 1993
Spent 3 months on the Cangrejhal Rio outside of La Cebia. Great river! It goes from class V To Class III and then to the sea in like 15 to 20 miles. Also, the next drainage over is called El Rio Danto. I got on this one as well. The Danto is beautiful. Not too big as least when i ran it. Class IV but exactly what i imagined a jungle rio would be in my minds eye. Nice drops. Mist in the trees, Cascades coming down the sides of the canyon. Man, I want to go back! Check out Omega Tours Website. Its run by a German Couple named Udo And Sylvia. Udo is an old school prijon boater who bailed out of europe and has made a nice place for himself. I worked for them while i was there and they are chill. The lodge is also super cheap.
h2obro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005   #3

Thanks h20bro,the Danto sounds perfect!La Cieba is the closest thing to a kakaking hub in GUAT .,HOND,OR BZ,the outfitters in BZ andGUAT. mostly do multiday expensive package deals.I see OMEGA Iis doing that too,how are they for independents?If you stayed at Las Mangas is it easy to hook up with other boaters or hire a guide to run rivers other than "the Kong"?
I am familiar with the Cangrejal,did 3 days on it in 99,my one and only hardshell on river lesson,duckied 3-4 stuff,and flipped a Percepcion Torrent sit on top a bunch of times eventually swam into an undercut and came within a whisker of death,yeah I know the KONG.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2005   #4

Paddling Since: 1993
Omega is pretty friendly to boaters. Udo even has some old school boats. There are a couple of ex pats in the area that paddle and you can hook up w/ them if you get lucky. Actually A good place to mfind them is @ the ex patriots bar in ceiba. Udo will run shuttle for ya but you will have to pay like 4 bucks. The lodge is super cheap like I mentioned before. also like 4 bucks a night depending on if your level of sleeping arrangements. Ya dont need to raft w/ them to stay although they will try to get ya to do other stuff. Meals are home cooked and also cheap, but tasty.
have fun
h2obro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005   #5

Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
What sections of the Rio Cangrejhal did you guys run.? I think I ran the middle and lower sections. I put in about 4-5 miles up from the bridge (that was washed out by Hurricane Mitch but rebuilt). Then I ate lunch and paddled the next section. I only remember the name of one rapid, "Lava Falls." I ran both of these sections solo in a play boat because the guy that I PAID to run the river with could not get to his boat because it was locked up. This was about 4 years ago and I can't remember the company I went thru....i think it was rioshonduras or something.

What is the upper section like?
jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005   #6

Jonny W,
i ran the lwr. the one with Lava,the iv- section above it and the last couple drops of the iv-v section.I believe the runs above that are iv-v.I went with Rios Honduras,Karl and Junior were great.
Hurricane Mitch really did a number on that area,the Cangrejal normally runs 1500 to 5000 cfs,it hit 500'000cfs!!Huge trees were washed a couple miles out into the Carribean the washed back on the beach there were hundreds of them scattered on the shore for miles on both sides of the rivers mouth.Bridges all over Honduras were damaged/destroyed,I remember when the bus came to a bridge all the passengers got out and walked across then a very nervous looking driver would solo the bus across,it was major.
Old 11-01-2005   #7

Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
I know, Hurricane Mitch was off the hook. I was down there mapping all the devastation due to landsliding in Honduras. While I was there I got to paddle. I paddled the Cangrejal right after the bridge was fixed and after Hurricane Michelle came thru....Junior (from RIOS HONDURAS) went up there with me and as I was putting on, he told me that i was the first to put on that section since the hurricanes and eveything had changed because no one was able to gain access without the bridge. I was a little nerved up but still had fun....I actually broached on a rock and had to climb out of my boat trying to boat scout a waterfall. I couldn't see the landing and was creeping up to the lip to see the bottom and pinned on a rock right near the lip....I nearly freaked out becuase there was no one in sight to help....I managed to get out and get my boat before it went over the drop but it was kind of scetchy.
A colleague of mine form the USGS put the flow on the Cangrejal at the 500 year storm.....I mapped a debris flow near la Ceiba that jumped its banks and wreaked havok on the jungle in its path for a whole mile....the normal flow channel came down from the mountains and took a hard left hand turn....this debris flow ripped down the mountain side and jumped the banks and removed everything in its path for a mile before making the turn left....the deposit is a huge boulder field a mile wide and nearly 20 miles long!! I hope to get back that way some day and paddle the Danto....that looks pretty cool.
jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote