Gross Mountain Reservoir - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-01-2009   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Gross Mountain Reservoir

Hello all,

There seems to be a renewed push to expand Gross Mountain Reservoir. I am not very familiar with all of the issues at stake, but it seems to me this is flying under the radar which is never a good thing. I thought I would start the topic so there can be a better understanding of the issue and consequences. There is a public hearing this evening in Boulder. Here is a link to The Daily Camera Article from yesterday:

Public input sought on Gross Reservoir expansion - Boulder Daily Camera

I am interested to hear what people think about this.

zboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2009   #2

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
What's the effect of 125' of loss on USBC?

Anyone have access to a Topo map and can tell what the end effect of this is? My mindset at this point is that this is a muchbetter option than de-watering something else. (Like the super pipe from the green).
Old 12-01-2009   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Here is the draft EIS: https://www.nwo.usace.army.mil/html/...deis-docs.html

There is a ton of info there but if you look under the executive summary it gives all of the options with a few maps showing the expansion, the all are around 100 feet of elevation added to the dam. This really sucks because that is going to get mighty close to the best rapid on the front range.
We have until January to give input into this, hopefully we can stop it but it looks like it is going to happen.
-Tom
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2009   #4

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009   #5

Erie, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Also looks like the best cliff jumping spot on the front range will disappear.
CUBuffskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #6

Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
I can't see how expanding the resevoir would make a dam bit of difference. The foot print is small. Isn't the Frazier River basically dewatered already?
FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #7

Fraser, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
I can't see how expanding the resevoir would make a dam bit of difference. The foot print is small. Isn't the Frazier River basically dewatered already?
This is the kind of thinking from which we need to evolve. Each new water theft is always justified partially by the idea that "it's just a small percentage". Currently, over 60% of the Fraser River's water is being taken out. This already sucks. The new water firming projects want to raise that amount to 72%. To the idea of a dewatered Fraser River, I say Fuck You. And give the water back!
foreverhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #8

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Before you preach, if you are from the front range, ask yourself, where am I from.

That is the real problem.
tellutwurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #9

Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
Ya gotta pick and choose your battles. This one probably isn't worth it. Not all dams and diversions are bad in my opinion. Look at how the Blue Mtn Resevoir keeps the Blue and Colorado Rivers running all summer. Also, the supplemental water from the Twin Lakes/Roaring fork diversion keep the Ark running until Mid August. All this would be kaput by July if it wasn't for the dams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverhard View Post
This is the kind of thinking from which we need to evolve. Each new water theft is always justified partially by the idea that "it's just a small percentage". Currently, over 60% of the Fraser River's water is being taken out. This already sucks. The new water firming projects want to raise that amount to 72%. To the idea of a dewatered Fraser River, I say Fuck You. And give the water back!
FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #10

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
There is a hearing tonight in Granby and Thurday night in Boulder: American Whitewater - Public Hearing added for Denver Water's Moffat Collection Project

I think the issue is not so much raiding Gross, as it is the stolen westslope water from the CO and Frasier Rivers.

I thought this was pretty much a given, as it was part of an old agreement to not build 2 forks Dam on the South Platte.

I'm not sure, but I think it only adds about a third of a mile of flat water to USB and would not flood the last big rapids.

For Tom and Christian, it should add a significant high water season to USB as well as extend the season in the lower canyon.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote