green river ww park - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-21-2004   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
green river ww park

I'm going to be driving through Wyoming next week and I was wondering whether it is worth stopping to surf in Green River. Specifically, does anyone know:
its the park good?
does it have enough water?
thanks,
josh

jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2004   #2

i went by there in early may and the runoff hadn't started my guess is to stay away from it not a very good park
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004   #3

If your driveing thorough It would be dumb not to stop Ive paddled there several times, There is enough water. They had a fun event there the last weekend in june. The bottom hole is the best one in the park. Keep in mind this is a gary lacy park so it looks nice but it is just a little on the shallow side. but you can do all of the moves there i hit my first compition phonix monky there.

hope that helps
corey volt
Squints is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2004   #4

When it has water the hole is better than anything on the front range for freestyle. You can do more moves, and the moves are cleaner. In fact you can even do vertical cartwheels! Eureka. Plus there are no lines, and you have a sign that says, "Whitewater park for kayakers only." It may be the easiest place within 6 hours to learn to loop.

No idea if it's running.
Old 07-23-2004   #5
DP/ Cinematographer

DP - cinematographer brookaitken.com, Boulder
Paddling Since: 1978
Send a message via Skype™ to Brook
Green River and Casper Play park

Green River is a blast and pretty gentle. The more water the better however. Above 1000. I hit my fist comp MC'Donkeynastymonkey' roll there. But then again I hit my head too. Casper just had a rodeo there last weekend and it was great very similar to Green River but a little better hole.(might be the water level) Tough to loop but everything else in the book was more than possible. They even had really big $$$ prizes. If you are ever near Casper or even close it is worth the drive for some good play. Look for a new crew of young jibbers to evolve out of there soon! Both towns are play park crazy and really love paddlers!

-BA
Old 07-23-2004   #6

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I got a report from a crew that hit Green River a couple of weeks ago with good water, 2000 plus, the first time this park has seen that much water since it was built in 2001. They said the wave was sweet at this flow with good foam pile and green wave. The Green has been in a worse drought than we have been seeing so we have never really seen what good water will look like up there.

Cory...you are my homey so I don't hold it against you when you make comments like "it is a Lacy park so it is shallow" however listen close grasshopper. Castle Falls (the hole we are all talking about) was built by me. So if you want to dog on someone you can dog on me. However, the hole is only shallow because a river that usually sees flows of between 6,000 and 2,500 (targeted design flows) in the summer has seen flows ranging from 400 to 1500 since the drop was built.

Another way to describe the Green River Whitewater Park is a great place to play with warm water, super friendly town and better flows than most places this time of year. That said the more water the better. Castle Falls starts to stand up into a super fun wave with more volume. There is also a fun spot upstream at the power plant. If the water is over 1000cfs that spot is worth it as well. Ask around for directions it is a short drive from the Castle Falls wave and very few people seem to make it up there.
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004   #7

student/ kayaker
Send a message via AIM to goatboater
I was there yesterday and it was awesome. I don't know what the flow was but it felt like about 1000, and the lower hole was going off. There was one other guy there for the whole two hours I was, the water was warm (just wore my pfd), and it's only like a five minute drive from the interstate. The hole is super friendly, I was doing a lot of moves for the first time. I would say its way better than any other front range play parks (with the exception of the salida/buena holes) at this time of year considering there's no water.

Harvey, props to you, I think you did a freeking good job. How can anyone knock on Lacy parks? The lower Salida hole has to be one of the best damn manmade holes in the world.

Peace,
Ben
Old 07-26-2004   #8

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
thanks Ben. I was not being defensive. Cory and I have has this ongoing debate which has even propelled us across the long and lonely Nevada desert. You all are just being subjected to it publicly.
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004   #9

I wasnt trying to come across like i was dogging on all lacy parks. If it wasnt for Mike and Gary we wouldnt have near as many park/opportnitys to paddle so close to home, they do a great job at what they do. so keep up the good work Mike, and Gary.

mike email me we need to talk about the Ogden Parks expansion.

corey volt
Squints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004   #10

Check out http://www.grchamber.com/white_water_park.htm . It has pictures of the park.
cstork is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark