Green River, put in at Flaming Gorge Damn - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-08-2010   #1

edwardsville, Illinois
Paddling Since: 1993
Green River, put in at Flaming Gorge Damn

Has anyone done this stretch? How is the scenery and fishing? I'll be going late June for 2 nights, any advice?

Thanks!

vacca2256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2010   #2

Have a way to haul an inflated and rigged boat to the ramp.

Scenery is very good, fishing is world class but heavily regulated. You may get into a cicada hatch during that time, so come prepared. Caddis should be starting in the evening, and nymphs are generally productive.

Whitewater is tame. One tricky move exists for novice boaters on Section B at red creek if the water is too low to run the left sneak. It would be a generally lousy place to pin a boat.

If red creek is flowing, the river turns red from that point on and is essentially unfishable.

Camping on Section B is first come first serve at the office at the end of section A. About 15-20 bucks per night I think.

There can be some unruly bears around those sites.

I would recommend the float all the way to swallow canyon takeout, but not beyond. It does make for two long days.
festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010   #3

Grand Junction, Colorado
Late June should be pretty busy especially on the "A" section and if doing it on a weekend. A lot of guides, privates and tubers. Scenery is awesome, called the aquarium, clearity of the river and the amount of fish.

I would push through the A section, obviously fish just don't spend the whole day. Once you get to little hole (start of "B" section), crowds thin out and river camping is allowed. I believe you got to sign up at little hole for camp sites. Fewer fish on the "B" section than "A" section but are bigger and more willing to take you fly, less pressure. There are though some runs that hold a ton of fish. Never done below the "B" section.

Check the weather, Red Creek can dirtly up the B section pretty quick if a storm dumps rain up basin.

There are a couple of fly shops in Dutch John that run shuttles and you can get supplies.
ssoren1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2010   #4

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
One of the best fishing floats around. Gorgeous canyon, big fish.
Old 06-08-2010   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
It's a great float, great fishing, and good camping. I do it a few times a year. I like camping at Grasshopper 1 or 2 and doing an extra day wade fishing. I like B more than A, but both fish really well. Expect crowds on A.

As stated, left on Red Creek Rapid is the easier route, tho it is a rock garden in low flows...I like going right, but you might want to scout and make up your mind from there. The scout is on the left. It's easy to get pushed to the cliff if you go right, and there is a rock that can pin you.

Have fun!
NolsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010   #6

Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
I just completed planning for same trip. We launch June 23. You can get advance camping thru the www.recreation.gov website for some of the Sec. B sites and not risk getting nixed at the Little Hole sign-up board. We will float / fish Sec. A on 6/23 then camp at Dripping Springs (also advance reservation avaliable). On 24th we will again float Sec. A all the way to camp in Sec. B. Our 3rd nite is also in Sec. B (above Red Creek in case it rains). Then float out to Swallow. Its all about the fishing especially if the cicada hatch releases.
F.A.A.C. Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010   #7
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Can you reserve all sites or just specific ones?
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Quote:
Originally Posted by F.A.A.C. Slim View Post
I just completed planning for same trip. We launch June 23. You can get advance camping thru the www.recreation.gov website for some of the Sec. B sites and not risk getting nixed at the Little Hole sign-up board. We will float / fish Sec. A on 6/23 then camp at Dripping Springs (also advance reservation avaliable). On 24th we will again float Sec. A all the way to camp in Sec. B. Our 3rd nite is also in Sec. B (above Red Creek in case it rains). Then float out to Swallow. Its all about the fishing especially if the cicada hatch releases.
I'm not seeing how you can reserve sites for the B section...how did you do that???

Thanks!

Bill
NolsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010   #9

Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
kazak4x4 and nolsguy....call me for more info..it was tricky prying the right info out of the national forest folks and of course I had to educate the rec.gov reservationists but it can be done

"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent"
F.A.A.C. Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010   #10

vail, Colorado
Carefull the walls have eyes. Rangers everywhere. They spot from the cliffs with binos. remember Utah is a no tollerence state. On fishing, use only 5/6x floro smallest (green egg) weight possible fish are tippet weight and indicator shy. A moss green indicator can imitate the moss on the water, white mimicks goose down, blue for blue sky. Dont pay much attention to the pod feeders eating size 26 trico off the surface, this will only frustrate you. Have fun stay out of trouble. DONT LISTEN TO THE GUYS AT THE RAINBOW LODGE
foulhooked1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
green river, utah