Green Mtn and Lower Blue update - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-19-2012   #1

Loveland, Colorado
Green Mtn and Lower Blue update

Hi All,

After yesterday's Colorado River coordination call, we made adjustments to the release from Green Mountain Dam to the Lower Blue River. We are now releasing about 540 cfs.

As you all likely are aware, flows in the Colorado River continue to decline. In response, we have bumped our releases up another 50 cfs from 490 to 540 cfs.

The reservoir is currently at a water level elevation of 7920 feet above sea level, about 30 vertical feet down, or roughly 65% full.

It's likely the 540 cfs will remain in place through the weekend. I anticipate more changes next week, but they could come sooner. So, please keep an eye on the gages before you head out to the reservoir or the Lower Blue.

Best,
Kara

Bureau of Reclamation
klamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2012   #2

Loveland, Colorado
Nevermind

This was just a whiplash 24-hours on the Lower Blue:

All,
This afternoon, the Colorado Division 5 Engineer requested that we decrease releases from Green Mountain Reservoir to the Lower Blue. As a result around 3:30 p.m. today, we cut back releases by about 75 cfs.

The flow in the Lower Blue is now about 465 cfs.

I am not willing to speculate how long this change will be in effect, but I will keep you posted if more changes occur. Meanwhile, be sure to check the gage before you head up to either the Lower Blue or Green Mountain Reservoir.

Best,
Kara

Bureau of Reclamation
Old 07-23-2012   #3

Loveland, Colorado
Green Mtn/lower Blue July 23

All,
Yesterday, we adjusted the release from Green Mountain Dam to the lower Blue River. We dropped it by about 50 cfs. By yesterday afternoon, the lower Blue was running around 415 cfs.

As this dry summer goes on, our weekly adjustments to releases from Green Mountain Dam will continue. We are in constant collaboration with the State and other reservoir operators whose releases also contribute to the Colorado River. We work together, adjusting flows as we go. With that in mind, it will not be unusual this summer to see two, or possibly more, changes in one week to our releases from the dam to the lower Blue River. Just keep an eye on the gages.

Please let me know if you have any related questions.

Best,
Kara

Bureau of Reclamation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2012   #4

Loveland, Colorado
MOre Green Mtn/Lower Blue changes

Hi all,

The Upper Colorado River Basin has received more rain. As a result, contributions from Green Mountain have been curtailed by another 50 cfs. That means the release to the lower Blue River below Green Mountain Dam is now about 315 cfs.

I do not know what changes the weather this week will bring, so be sure to check the gages before you head out that way.

Best,
Kara
Bureau of Reclamation
Old 08-01-2012   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Thanks as always, Kara.
Beardance42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012   #6

Loveland, Colorado
Lower Blue

Hey all,
After bumping around a bit responding to small rain storms and the like, we're back to releasing 365 cfs. I have no idea how long that will last. It's just a crazy dry summer.

Best,
Kara
Bureau of Reclamation
Old 08-06-2012   #7

Loveland, Colorado
GM lower blue change

Hi all,
We're now releasing 405 cfs.

Best,
Kara
Bureau of Reclamation
Old 08-09-2012   #8

Loveland, Colorado
releases to lower blue ebb off slightly

All,

After the weekly coordination call today, we have made another change at Green Mountain Dam. We have dropped releases down to about 380 cfs in the Lower Blue River.

Green Mountain Reservoir is currently at a water level elevation of about 7915 feet, or roughly 60% full. Considering the reservoir only got to an elevation of 7928 feet this year, that means it has dropped about 13 vertical feet since late June.

Afternoon rains storms have helped bump up the Colorado River slightly. We, and other reservoir operators around the basin, continue to work together to do our best to balance flows in the region.

Best,
Kara
Bureau of Reclamation
Old 08-13-2012   #9

Loveland, Colorado
Another change

Hey all,
This morning we cut back again at Green Mountain Dam. As a result, there's about 330 cfs in the Lower Blue.

Best,
Kara
Bureau of Reclamation
Old 08-22-2012   #10

Loveland, Colorado
Bumping up at Lower Blue

Hi all,

Late yesterday afternoon, we bumped up releases from Green Mountain Dam to the lower Blue River by about 60 cfs. The Lower Blue is now running about 450 cfs.
Demands downstream in the Grand Valley have come on and Green Mountain is responding.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. I'm out in the field today, but can return calls and e-mail tomorrow, August 23.

Best,
Kara

Bureau of Reclamation