Green Mtn and GORE - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-16-2005   #1

Loveland, Colorado
Green Mtn and GORE

All,
I am chagrinned! I was off on vacation the week before Gore Fest and left you all in the lurch for flow information from Green Mountain. For those who have not had a phone call or e-mail response back from me regarding your Gore flow inquiries, one is coming shortly! I'm trying to catch up. Thanks for your patience.

Here's the scoop: all last week on the Lower Blue (Aug. 7-13), releases from Green Mountain bounced back and forth between 300 and 400 cfs. We are just bypassing inflow. The reservoir is still full. And, there are NO CALLS on the Colorado River.

If you've been down Glenwood Canyon lately, you'll have noticed the stretch where the Shoshone plant usually diverts has been running pretty well. Shoshone is offline. Something about a boulder in a tunnel--I don't have details. Until Xcel is able to start generating again, the Shoshone call won't come on the river. Without a call, we can't release water above the inflow cfs to Green Mountain Reservoir.

Could there be other calls on the river--west slope agriculture or endangered fish or something? Well, it's a possibility and there was a river management conference call today, but I haven't heard of any changes, yet. I think flows down at Cameo have been about 300 cfs above "calling levels," so I am not optimistic we'll see a call come on before Gore Fest this weekend. Right now, we're anticipating running about 300 cfs from Green Mountain through the weekend.

Of course, once I make a prediction like that, the weather usually makes a liar out of me. So, pray for rain and I'll be sure to post here as soon as I hear something different. Oh, and feel free to call, e-mail, or post a reply if you have questions.

Wish I had better news,
Kara

Bureau of Reclamation
klamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2005   #2

Loveland, Colorado
More info

All,
I said it would make a liar out of me, and it did.

Apparently, a contractor has requested water out of Green Mountain Reservoir. This hour (5 p.m.) we will bump up releases to the Lower Blue by 150 cfs. That should put about 450 cfs in the river below the dam.

I do not know how long this request will be on. It might go through the weekend, or it might not.

I'll know more Thursday and post again, then.

Best,
Kara
Bureau of Reclamation
Old 08-16-2005   #3

Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
Thanks Kara, all your updates are much appreciated. Anyword on the Roberts Tunnell (i.e. North Fork of the South Platte)?

cheers
Kent
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2005   #4

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Kara...

YOU ARE VERY APPRECIATED!!!!

Even though I would prefer to hear that "Friday night Gore flows will be at 2500 for race day!!!"... it's just great to get the skinny from someone who knows regardless what it is.

Thank you very much for getting back to me.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005   #5

Indian Hills, Colorado
Shoshone call comes on tomorrow folks, just in time for race day! I guess that boulder problem got resolved.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005   #6

Bham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1997
Hey Kara,

Can you give us any info on any Big Thompson realeases this fall? Are we going to see flows similar to last year in late August/September?

Thanks,
Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005   #7

Loveland, Colorado
Gore cfs update

Hi everyone,
I promised I would post an update today on what the weekend looks like for Gore.

This morning, we bumped releases to the Lower Blue up another 60 cfs or so. We're running about 510 cfs out of Green Mountain right now and that should continue through the weekend.

Also, the Colorado River District, as everyone has probably already seen and heard, bumped up releases from Wolford to about 120 cfs. So, that's only 630 through Gore for the weekend.

And, there is still the possibility that Shoshone might start generating tomorrow. If that happens, I'll send another update so you guys know how much we bump up from Green Mountain in response to that call.

Until then,
Best,
Kara

P.S. For those asking about Big Thompson flows, we probably won't see anything there for the rest of summer. If we do some maintenance work in the fall and have to move project water around, I'll let you guys know. Generally only two things bump up Big T flows: lots of snow melt and/or rain; and project maintenance where we dewater power plants and send the water straight down the canyon.
Bureau of Reclamation
Old 08-19-2005   #8

Denver, Colorado
Kara,

I don't think we say it enough, but thanks for posting these forecasts and explanations. You are truly appreciated and we are grateful you take the time.

Darren
Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005   #9

Loveland, Colorado
And some more info

Hi again,
Some more news for Gore this weekend. Sounds like the Shoshone plant is up and running again. I think it did come on line yesterday. We responded by bumping up our releases another 150 cfs this morning.

So, that should put around 650 cfs or so in the Lower Blue today and through the weekend.

I am not sure what other water managers are contributing to the Colorado right now. I think the River District might have scaled back releases from Wolford a little bit. But, sounds like an overall improvement from yesterday--and hopefully good all weekend.

Enjoy!
--Kara
Bureau of Reclamation