Green Mountain goes up for spring - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-14-2009   #1

Loveland, Colorado
Green Mountain goes up for spring

Hey all,
Those of you who had thought Green Mountain would go up for runoff were right. I just sent this. It mentions a press release. I didn't attach it here, but if you want it, just e-mail me.

Hi everyone,
After a conference call this morning, it was decided that this year is a good year for a group of reservoir operators in the Upper Colorado River basin to participate in the Coordinated Reservoirs Operations program--a program geared at getting snowmelt flows to match historic levels in the Colorado River for the benefit of endangered fish. Green Mountain is one of the reservoirs participating this year.

I've attached the press release the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service sent earlier this afternoon.

What this means for Green Mountain Reservoir is that we will be bypassing the inflowing snowmelt to the reservoir on through the dam and down the Lower Blue. Because more is coming in than we are currently releasing, we will be bumping up releases in 100 cfs increments over the next several days, hitting a cfs of around 600 by Monday, May 18. After Monday, the CROS group will reconvene. But, there is a strong likelihood the 600 cfs will continue through Memorial Day. I'll keep you posted on what changes are made.

This afternoon, we bumped releases up from around 100 cfs to about 200 cfs. The change was made between 1 and 3 p.m. I'm anticipating the daily 100 cfs increase will be made in this same time frame through the weekend, hitting the 600 cfs mark Monday afternoon.

For those keeping tabs on the reservoir, it is currently at a water elevation of 7913 feet--that's still quite a bit down from full, but we're anticipating enough water down the Blue this year to participate in this program and fill the reservoir.

As always, please let me know if you have any related questions or concerns. And, have a great weekend!

Best,
Kara

Bureau of Reclamation
klamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2009   #2

Loveland, Colorado
Green Mountain up more

All,
We continue to bypass inflows from melting snow on down to the endangered fish in the Colorado River. As a result, we bumped up releases from Green Mountain reservoir to the Lower Blue another 150 cfs earlier today.

That means there is 750 cfs flowing in the Lower Blue. That should continue on through Memorial Day weekend.

I'll continue posting as conditions change.

Best,
Kara

P.S. Is the Buzz slower lately, or is it me--and I say this recognizing that user error is a reality for me. Any advice on speeding up my on-line time would be appreciated. Thanks!
Bureau of Reclamation
Old 05-19-2009   #3

Loveland, Colorado
Releases rise again

All,
This morning around 10 a.m., we bumped up releases from Green Mountain to the Lower Blue by 100 cfs, putting the river at approximately 850 cfs.

Around 4 p.m. this afternoon, we will increase releases another 100 cfs, releasing approximately 950 cfs to the Lower Blue.

The 950 cfs will continue until further notice.

Best,
Kara
Bureau of Reclamation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2009   #4

185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
Thank you
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by klamb View Post
P.S. Is the Buzz slower lately, or is it me--and I say this recognizing that user error is a reality for me. Any advice on speeding up my on-line time would be appreciated. Thanks!
Thanks for the updates Kara, the website has been running a lot slower for me as well...but no other websites do.?..-oh well, time to get off the computer and on the river.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009   #6

If you are trying to read multiple posts from the home/portal, or one of the forums where going into each topic one at a time takes a while...

What I do is right click on the links i am interested in and choose Open in New Tab. Once done choosing the topics I am interested in the first one is already downloaded and redy for viewing. Then I just close the tab when i am done.

Hope that helps.
Shawn M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009   #7

the bed of my truck, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
hey just a quick question what does it mean for Gore in the fall, will they still release in the fall like they have done in the past??
twitch_13 is offline   Reply With Quote