Green Mountain, contacting Kara, spring - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-10-2009   #1

Loveland, Colorado
Green Mountain, contacting Kara, spring

Just a few things for the new spring season. Hope you all are doing well!

Good afternoon, everyone,

Just a quick head's up about spring and Green Mountain Reservoir. As most of you have probably already noticed, we are only at an elevation of 7894 in the reservoir today. We are also releasing about 100 cfs from Green Mountain to the Lower Blue. We are trying to anticipate snowpack and getting ready for the on-coming season.

Also of note, as of this Monday, April 13, 2009, the E-MAIL addresses for my office here in Reclamation will CHANGE. We are dropping the "gp" from our identification line. Beginning Monday, you can e-mail me at [email protected] My phone number will stay the same: (970) 962-4326.

Have a very happy weekend,
Kara

Bureau of Reclamation
klamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2009   #2

x, x
Paddling Since: x
what do you think peak flow will bring this year and how long do you think we will see levels above 600?

I love that run, and have been told that it will suffer during a low snow year, I was also told that if Keystone would close the mtns would see more snow, but I cant seem to convince mngmt to see things my way.

Still working on the ladder............

bob
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009   #3

Loveland, Colorado
Hi Bob,
I wish I knew! But, like everyone else, I can only guess.

We do have above-average snowpack in the Blue River Basin. We could see some decent (for kayaking) cfs in the Lower Blue during run-off. That wouldn't surprise me. Once run-off has peaked and is ebbing down, our releases will drop off, naturally. And, if we have a typical irrigation season on the West Slope, we'll probably see some demand for Green Mountain water come on in late summer/early fall, bumping releases up again. That is how the past seven or so years have played out, pretty much. But who is to say if this year will follow the pattern?

Wish I had a better answer, but I don't.

Best,
Kara
Bureau of Reclamation
klamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2009   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by klamb View Post
Hi Bob,
I wish I knew! But, like everyone else, I can only guess.

We do have above-average snowpack in the Blue River Basin. We could see some decent (for kayaking) cfs in the Lower Blue during run-off. That wouldn't surprise me. Once run-off has peaked and is ebbing down, our releases will drop off, naturally. And, if we have a typical irrigation season on the West Slope, we'll probably see some demand for Green Mountain water come on in late summer/early fall, bumping releases up again. That is how the past seven or so years have played out, pretty much. But who is to say if this year will follow the pattern?

Best,
Kara

any anticipation on releasing more flows anytime soon??
conan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009   #5
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Quote:
Originally Posted by klamb View Post
Hi Bob,

Best,
Kara
Kara dont you worry about that. Whatever information you posses you always willingly share with us dirtbag boaters, and for that we are all eternally grateful!

whats the word on Lake Dillon and the Roberts Tunnel? Will we see more summer-time flows through Bailey and Beyond again this year? Or does it look like it will be more of a fall thing?

thanks again and keep it up, if we had someone like you for every dam across the state we would be absolutely set!!!