Green Mountain and Lower Blue - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-12-2008   #1

Loveland, Colorado
Green Mountain and Lower Blue

All,
Good news for white water on the Lower Blue this weekend. We will be running about 1000 cfs down the Lower Blue from Green Mountain Dam, most likely through Sunday.

On Wednesday of this week, we completed some maintenance at the power plant and bumped releases from Green Mountain Reservoir back up to about 830 cfs.

Yesterday, we bumped up again, responding to downstream needs, to the 1000 cfs mark.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Best,
Kara

Bureau of Reclamation
klamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2008   #2

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Thanks for the update Kara! A group of us will be running it on Sunday. Do you know of any hazards/strainers that were caused from the releases?
Airborne2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Hey Kara - any idea if these flows will remain in effect through next weekend? 9/20-9/21?
Beardance42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2008   #4
Jefe Driver

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
You guys have a great run!
FreeKickHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008   #5

Good news on the lower Blue?..whatever...bad news for others looking to run a business and paddle on Gore Canyon.
yes. good news for class II "wannabe" boaters...but not for others.
Sure would be nice if there were consistant flows...Gore ran at 875 for the longest..now it's running 1400 - 1600. I'd love to have the insight one day as to why the release surges from almost too low..to high ( no..rain is not a factor)...I hope one of these days it gets a schedule like on most other rivers so people can plan. Commercial companies can operate, and people that may not have a computer, will know what they are getting into. Radical unscheduled releases use to happen like this on the Gauley, Ocoee, Upper Yough, etc..but the local goverment agencies caught so much flack, there are now consistant flows, which in turn brings in lots of $ to the areas. so whoever is turning the valves, needs some structure.
Yes I know it also depends on the "needs" downstream..but still doesn't have a logical schedule...why not just pump out 1,000 cfs all summer?
ballbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008   #6

Loveland, Colorado
BB--
These are good questions and I definitely understand your concern. Unfortunately, I don't have the answer you want to hear.

Green Mountain Reservoir operations and releases are controlled by Congressional authorization, the Blue River Decrees, State water rights, the demand of marketed water, power generation, and other needs and factors--and that actually does include rain, believe it or not. Obviously, most of these needs and demands conflict with one another. That's why they don't just "pump out 1000 cfs all summer." While that would make certain groups happy, it would also directly violate other contracts and agreements.

So, to strike as close to a balance as possible, Reclamation (who owns and operates Green Mountain Reservoir, Dam, and Power Plant) participates in a weekly conference call with other reservoir operators, water and power interests, and senior water right holders from across the Upper Colorado Basin, as well as the State Engineer's Office. Everyone works together to decide what to release when and from where to meet the required demands while also getting as close to "the greater good" as possible. But, as you attest to, on a project of this scope and scale, you can never make absolutely everybody happy.

As for insight: that's why I post here. I want to give users of the river the best information I have. While it might not be information you particularly like, at least you can get an idea of what is going and why, and to some extent, plan around it. I also have a e-mail lists I send to for our various reservoir releases. If you are not on the Green Mountain list already, please let me know and I'd be happy to add you, your business, or both.

If you want to discuss further, I can do that, too. Just PM me on Monday and I'll do my best to address your questions and concerns.

Best,
Kara
klamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008   #7

Thanks for the reply..I know it's complex.....and I would like to be on the list
[email protected]
Old 09-13-2008   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballbuster View Post
Good news on the lower Blue?..whatever...bad news for others looking to run a business and paddle on Gore Canyon.
yes. good news for class II "wannabe" boaters...but not for others.
Consider yourself in the minority bbuster. This is great news for every Gore kayaker I know. The 1400-1650 cfs flows of the last couple of weeks have provided fantastic late season kayaking. 1650ish on friday was the highest reading on that date in the historical records. Gore is great fun at this level. Bummer for the commercials that they can't run gore at that level, but also a bummer attitude for a boater to be boo-hooing great late season flows that provide for nice boating on the lower blue, gore, pumphouse, shoshone, glenwood wave, westwater etc, essentially providing class II, III, IV/V and freestyle for boaters and floaters of all walks of life. We hear you loud and clear that you don't like it, but I think the other 95% of the boaters who are loving the great late season flows are enjoying it quite a bit. I've seen nothing but happy faces at the gore put in and pumphouse from the boaters and fishermen using the lower blue, gore and pumphouse stretches.

I do agree that some structure to the releases would be of benefit to the boating community. I also think that recreation should also be one of the many variables considered in the flow equation. I do not agree that high late season flows are a bad thing though.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008   #9

yawn...consider yourself a weekend paddler with shit for brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsouthpaddler View Post
Consider yourself in the minority bbuster. This is great news for every Gore kayaker I know. The 1400-1650 cfs flows of the last couple of weeks have provided fantastic late season kayaking. 1650ish on friday was the highest reading on that date in the historical records. Gore is great fun at this level. Bummer for the commercials that they can't run gore at that level, but also a bummer attitude for a boater to be boo-hooing great late season flows that provide for nice boating on the lower blue, gore, pumphouse, shoshone, glenwood wave, westwater etc, essentially providing class II, III, IV/V and freestyle for boaters and floaters of all walks of life. We hear you loud and clear that you don't like it, but I think the other 95% of the boaters who are loving the great late season flows are enjoying it quite a bit. I've seen nothing but happy faces at the gore put in and pumphouse from the boaters and fishermen using the lower blue, gore and pumphouse stretches.

I do agree that some structure to the releases would be of benefit to the boating community. I also think that recreation should also be one of the many variables considered in the flow equation. I do not agree that high late season flows are a bad thing though.
Old 09-13-2008   #10

next time i need your opinion "paddler"..I'll lift my nut sack and ask ya!