Great news regarding "Big sTompson" - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-26-2008   #1

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Great news regarding "Big sTompson"

Guys and gals...

Looks like we just made some great headway with the parking at the takeout. The city attorney for Loveland (who I have been working with for 3+ weeks) just got back to me today with news that we can park in V-Smith Park as takeout.

BUT BUT BUT...

The city is reviewing their policy and will be figuring out how to limit parking to people that are actually renting/using the park. So, for that reason I am still speaking with the guy that runs Loveland City Parks. Hopefully, there will be positive dialogue that will include the use for hikers/kayakers/etc to use this as a parking lot for certian durations. My angle will be for 3 hour limits, but we'll see.

SO... In the meantime, please be SUPER SUPER cool and quick at the lot. No beer drinking or lounging there please!!! Let's keep this to a get in/get out deal and I think we are going to be just fine. I am more then certain that the park mgr is NOT stoked on this, and this was apparently forced on him. For that reason you can be sure we are on there "watch" list. If we give them a reason, they are going to take it to the bank. If we don't, this is going to roll just fine.

My suggestions:
Don't leave more then one car per group... (this is really the heart of the issue "parking")
When parking... just drop the car and get rolling up to the put-in.
Don't hang out at the parking lot once done. The truth is that as long as you are there with your car, they really have no way to ask you to leave, but if you are just having a after run cold one... please don't do it here

I will let you all know as any more develops...

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2008   #2

Good work. Thanks a lot Marty.
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008   #3
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Last time we were there we parked in the "top" lot. When you turn off the highway to go into the park, you can just turn right into a dirt lot instead of driving down. That seemed like a good option as it was out of the way from all the other park activities, but a super short walk up a dirt trail from the river. Still super fun levels in there.
KSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2008   #4

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
KSC,

That might just be the deal that I can work out with the city mgr. We don't park below... only up top? Not sure how that would be received, but we'll see.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Thanks for the good work Craw!

The park does have signs that state drinking alcohol is not permitted. Bummer. Takeout beers and grinning stories of near beatdowns make the post run glow even better.

I guess I'll park somewhere else to enjoy a cold one, or load up and go back to the top.

Best season on the big T in a long time!!!!
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote