Great article on the Grand Canyon... - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-24-2008   #1

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Great article on the Grand Canyon...

I have never really read much about the Grand and never really put a ton of time into considering pulling it together, but after reading Clays report here, its on the hit list for sure.

Great photos too...

Jackson Kayak - Kayak News, Kayak Photos, Kayak Videos and Kayak Stories

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2008   #2

the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
two good friends of mine went on separate GC trips this year. one launched in early may and one in early june. they both said it was a trip neither of them would ever forget. their stories made me put the canyon on my list also.
Old 07-24-2008   #3

Hi,

If you want an ongoing way to scratch that itch, you might want to try http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gcpba/messages

There are more than 2,000 folks there with that same gleam in their eye -- sharing their own GC experiences as well as the knowledge they bring from other rivers.

Have a good one.

Rich Phillips
VP, GCPBA
gcpba.org
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2008   #4

great write up by Clay. It must be impressive to hang with that crew during an 18-day playboating run.
Gotta call BS on one thing tho: Clay packing Tevas. Kid's never worn a sandal in his life.
stankboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008   #5
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecraw View Post
I have never really read much about the Grand and never really put a ton of time into considering pulling it together, but after reading Clays report here, its on the hit list for sure.

Great photos too...

Jackson Kayak - Kayak News, Kayak Photos, Kayak Videos and Kayak Stories
Grand Canyon will change you for sure. It's not about the whitewater, even though it is about the water.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008   #6

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
Grand Canyon will change you for sure. It's not about the whitewater, even though it is about the water.
Right - hold on, cuz your life won't be the same afterwards!
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008   #7
Spits Hot Fire

N. Cascades, Washington
Nice write up and pics! That place is life changing fer sure. Twenty some of the best days of your life...I just wanna know how could the Grand not be on your list before mang? Did you just write off the chance of ever getting on a permit, logistics, not enough gnar? Just curious

One of those pics kinda looked like upset rapid. Reminded me our trip and the good fortune i had there. 5 or 6 days prior we had a raft flip at Crystal and didn't get it back for a couple days. We lost a little food and beer but the only real damage was to the chic pales. Anyhow, it was pretty late in the day and Upset was going to be the last big rapid that day. The other kayaker and myself made it through upset upright and caught the big swirling eddy below on river right. The rafters finished scouting and ran it.

As I was watching them, bobbing up and down in the eddy a shimmery shiny object basically landed in my hand as I was taking a paddle stroke. The river gods practically handed me one of our Rainier beers that had been lost in the Crystal flip 6 days before. It was the perfect river temperature and hell of a way to paddle into camp.

We said it had been Crystallized

Now I cant wait to go back next March and do it all over again. I'm looking forward to seeing how the 11 new people will feel about the experience.
Old 07-24-2008   #8

Not a river guide, Ft. FunK
I just assumed that the GC was on everybody's list......
Old 07-25-2008   #9

Quote:
Twenty some of the best days of your life...I just wanna know how could the Grand not be on your list before mang?
Yeah, what's the deal Marty? Didn't believe it 'til you heard it from a Jackson paddler?
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008   #10
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
Fowtorch,

Being 1 of the 11, I am giddy as a school girl before prom. Not obsessive, Yet. That pic is Shweet.