Grant to Bailey run on NF of South Platte? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-23-2014   #1

Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Grant to Bailey run on NF of South Platte?

So I paddle an Ik and have often looked at the NF of the South Platte between Bailey and Grant. I am well aware of some fence issues and the one serious class IV drop by a bridge on this run. I'm sure there has to be some short clean run in that section that can be run. Anyone ever run anything on this stretch and was it safe without trespassing. Would really like to run a good slice of it, if possible. Anyone wanna chime in!!

gunnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2014   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I believe Bobbuilds has ran this stretch...
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014   #3

x, x
Paddling Since: x
I only checked out the slide/falls down to the hotdog stand. half a mile at best. The slide/falls leads around the corner to private property. Its fast clas 2/3 down to the hot dog stand. still ducked two fences and

with all the fences above and below Idont think it gets run. Let us know if you do run it and how many fences to portage. It would be a fun run.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2014   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
With the fences and private property you are better of downstream at foxton.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014   #5

Indian Hills, Colorado
There was a thread a long time ago about someone's attempt at floating it. I think it ended with the boater getting a ride from a landowner back to their truck because of all the fences and non-white water.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanOrion View Post
There was a thread a long time ago about someone's attempt at floating it. I think it ended with the boater getting a ride from a landowner back to their truck because of all the fences and non-white water.
Don't know for sure if it was me that told the story on here...but that was my experience. LOTS of barbed wire and on one portage on a large open ranch that you can easily see from the highway, the landowner came down to the river in a golf cart, outfitted with shotgun. He was actually quite chill on the whole, as long as we were willing to let him take us back to our vehicle and not continue on. We didn't have any objection, as it had been something of an adventure to that point, but mostly a pain in the ass dealing with the fences.
spthomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014   #7

Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Thanks for the info, so I might have to scratch this one off the possible list also. I knew off 2 fences near the slide that I could possibly cut loose after talking to owners several years ago. But the run would still only be about 3 to 4 miles into Bailey. I was looking at sections just from Grant out about 4 miles. Anyhow it is to far to travel for this year but if I'm in the area and feeling "gimpy", I might just take my cutters and get to wacking.
gunnerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bailey