Granite to Canon City Arkansas - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-28-2012   #1

student
Granite to Canon City Arkansas

Hey guys, toying around with the idea of self support kayaking from granite to canon city on the Ark.
I have only seen the numbers and royal gorge at a good flow. Assuming there is enough water to float on this year, how long would this take at high water? Is there camping along the way? Are the flat sections awful? Any input would be cool. Thanks

paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012   #2
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
It's been done in a day solo with fast boats and good flows.
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012   #3

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Good write up up here, not that we will see those types of flows:

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ver-19859.html
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012   #4

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
My estimate, if we don't get another significant snow, is that the Ark will peak around 1200-1800 in late April/early May. At that flow you could self support the whole river in 2 days without a problem. If it is less than 1000 I would plan on 3-4 days (that is paddling most of the day). There is good riverside camping on the river left in the BV playpark. As well as a couple of places just downstream of Ruby Mountain. There is pay camping at Ruby. Lots of camping options in and around Browns Canyon. Camping options again downstream of Salida at Salida East, and on the left upstream of Rincon. There is riverside pay camping at Valley Bridge. There is a nice free site in a meadow with a big downed cottonwood on the left between Cotopaxi and Texas Creek. Again there is pay camping at 5 points, but not that great of access from the campsite (other side of the highway). Not many more options for camping from there on.
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
My estimate, if we don't get another significant snow, is that the Ark will peak around 1200-1800 in late April/early May.... .
WOW! That's about 6 weeks early. Is there enough water in Twin Lakes to keep it above 700 till mid Aug? And any guess on how soon #s will hit 500?

Logan, thanks for the info.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012   #6

Overseas, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
I've got a friend who used to do it in a day with rafts, but as Imyers pointed out the flows won't go. Browns creek in Browns Canyon is a popular camp. The pay sites have been mentioned, the Cottonwood grove a mile up stream of Pinnacle Rock on river left is a fav. Copper Gulch just in the Royal Gorge river right, the concrete settling pits at the whitehouse above Sunshine, and my fav Secret Eddy river right in Corner Pocket rapid. PM me, I'll put u in touch with my friend, Brian loves to to talk about his "Longest Day" trips.
eljim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012   #7

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
WOW! That's about 6 weeks early. Is there enough water in Twin Lakes to keep it above 700 till mid Aug? And any guess on how soon #s will hit 500?

Logan, thanks for the info.
Yep, with the way the weather has been the snowpack is going to blow it's small load early this year. The snow is disappearing, but it's not really melting yet. I'm thinking we are having a lot of evaporation going on...

If nothing changes I think we will see flows start coming up in a couple weeks, and the peak will be small and short lived.

Twin Lakes seems to have good storage levels. I think last I saw it is filled to around 95% of average, so I think there is a good chance we will see 700 cfs at Wellsville for a long time this summer.

However, it does sound like there is potential for a decent storm Sunday and into the beginning of the week, and the associated cold front may drop temps back to average for awhile. A couple of good storms and another month of cool weather would make a big difference when it comes to this season's melt.

In case you haven't seen it, here is a graph that shows a pretty good representation of what's happening with the snowpack:

lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012   #8

Wow that graph is depressing.
jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark, arkansas