Grand Junction area beta - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-08-2009   #1

White Water, Nebraska
Paddling Since: 1998
Grand Junction area beta

Looking at a chance to transfer to GJ area _ very up in the air at this point but want to know whats on the table before I pitch the family on the move.

Whats the general outdoor scene like?
Whats the boating scene like?
Whats the winter rec season consist of? (nearby skiing?)
How are the locals and the lifestyle?
Whats the cost of living and real estate relative to other area's?

If you are local and love it, pitch me on the town and area.. I just don't know anything about it. (or if it sucks, I'd like to know now not later)

Thanks for any and all responses, I know its a lot but this could be a huge deal for my family.

rainman29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2009   #2

Icebox, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Alot better than Nebraska

I grew up in Grand Junction and have recently thought of moving back for family reasons.
Outdoor scene is good, boating close to town, Platue Creek, Gunny Gorge Westy, Utah boating is close. You can mountain bike year round, during the summer months get out early or late due to the heat. Powderhorn is the local mountain and is a good family resort. There is usually 4-5 plus 12 dumps a year and it doesn't get skied out quick like some other resorts. Lifestyle is good, some good breweries, parks, restaurants and the Mesa Mall. I think Palisade would be a cool place to live as well. It feels a little smaller.....
Someone else can speak better to Real Estate but I think it reasonable compared to the wages. What industry are you in?
grandyoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009   #3

Icebox, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Oh yeah I forgot Ruby Horsethief and Domingez canyons Water and all the other desert canyons you can hike in.......
grandyoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2009   #4

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Whats the general outdoor scene like?
Hiking: Some of the most beautiful but steep hiking I’ve ever done.
Mountain biking: Fuita, Moab.
Rivers: West water is 30min away, Glenwood 1 hours, number of creeks.
Rock climbing: lots of good Hard climbs and a few easy ones.

Whats the boating scene like?

I’m not sure, we just started but so far the people we’ve met have been cool, I’d say more rafters then kayakers.

Whats the winter rec season consist of? (nearby skiing?)

Powderhorn is the local resort, it’s small but its 45 min away and relatively cheap. Vail, Aspen, Breckenridge, Beaver Creek, and others are within striking distance with Denver traffic running the other way. Telluride and Crested Butte are the other direction and really good resorts. Then there’s the back country, some of the best in the country. Ice climbing in Ouray and Riffle as well.

How are the locals and the lifestyle?
Ask some else, I’d rather not say

Whats the cost of living and real estate relative to other area's?

We moved from a big city and we pay less for our house then I did for my studio apt back home, so I don’t think I’m the one to ask there either.
Rschap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009   #5

White Water, Nebraska
Paddling Since: 1998
QUOTE " a lot better than Nebraska "

: ) yeah, agreed.

Then again it has to be, I'll be asking my family to move away from things they enjoy now... like family, grass, tree's, nice lakefront home etc. All things that appear to be in short supply in Grand Junction. I hope to make up for that with great rivers, great people, new outdoor activities, cool place to raise kids etc.

Thanks for the replies all, this won't be an easy decision but all input is extremely appreciated. Having lived a lot of places its probably easy for me to pick and move but my wife and kids will have the final say and they haven't lived on like I've lived.
rainman29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009   #6

Bugtussle, Kentucky
If I moved back to Colorado, it would be to GJ. Lived there for 5 years before moving back to the southeast. The town is becoming more progressive, the college is growing, and the variety of outdoor activiteis nearby is hard to beat, especially if you like the desert/canyon landscape. You generally have to drive a bit for the boating, but there's plenty of great options, most mentioned above.
World class mountain biking, cross country skiing and hiking/backpacking. Close to Utah and its surreal canyon country. Easy access to the mountains, and traffic isn't bad at all. Yet. It's a growing area, and downtown is underrated. Good farmers market, restaurants, eclectic mix of people.
GJ has its issues like every other city, but I'd give it 2 thumbs up.
bjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009   #7
Newbiewanabebetterboater

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I live in GJ, Have lived here for nigh on 10 years since I moved here from London UK.
So say a sever culture shock was in store for me was an understatement. But I have adapted, and have slight longings for the big city life every now and then. When i hear that Such and Such Rock band is performing in that big city, I get pangs and wish that I could afford to get there and enjoy the concert etc without taking 2 days off work.

Aside from that. Outdoors life here is fantastic. Skiing at Powderhorn is OK. They get decent snow, and it is usually possible to find knee deep untracked pow 3 days after a storm if you know where to look. XC-Skiing is plentiful, as is the Back Country. Snowmobiling is pretty big on the mesa.

Mountain Biking is pretty much year round, and if there is snow here, you drive an hour or so to Moab and play there if you want to.
I am a newbie boater, but there are some great 1 and 2 day floats through town and beyond, nothing really more than ripples (except at the confluence of the Colorado & Gunnison) That little wave is fun.
There is Gunnison Gorge, and all the Glenwood Runs 1 1/2 hours away. Upper Colorado is 3 hours away (make it a 3 day camp out to make it worth it)

Cost of living is fairly high I think, and house prices while they dropped with the housing bust, did not go as low as some other cities.
Work is here to be found, as long as you want to work, and are not fussy.

Night life, well there are a few bars, not much else. Movies - there are 2 Cinema Complexes. 1 14 screener, 1 8 I think. Both seem to get the "good" movies for about 2 days and then keep the Hanna Montanna Crap for about 6 months (Obiously a personally opinion).

General Outdoor: Hiking, Biking, Boating, Climbing, Fishing, Skiing, Camping, all within 30 minutes to 1 hour away.

Locals, Wide variety thats all I will say. That is a very tricky question and any answer will likely offend everybody else.

I really like the place, and have settled down rather nicely. Sure I miss the Rock Concerts every now and then, but hey - kick back and have another homebrew and watch the beautiful sunsets instead.

Andrew
skyegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009   #8
Di

Agree with everyone above. If you like to boat, ski, hike, bike, fish, hunt, climb, or anything else outdoors, this is a fanatastic place. If you want night life, great bars, music scene, tons of restaurants, etc. this is not the place. But I'm usually too tired after all the day's adventures to care about that other stuff! You can always spend a weekend in Denver....

Cost of living is high - food, gas, housing, etc are all higher than they should be, considering we are on I-70 and jobs don't pay very well. And as others have said, I won't go into detail about people at the risk of offending someone - there are all types, some more than others, and it's a pretty conservative community, but overall quality of life is good and I've made great friends. Like anyplace, you have to be careful what neighborhood you live in and which schools you send your kids to.

I moved here 15 years ago from a much bigger city and don't regret it for a minute. Just the boating alone is worth it - from Westwater to Deso to Lodore to Cat - and Idaho and the Grand are only a day's drive. In 2 hours you can be in Aspen, Ouray, Moab, etc and in 4 hours - well, the possibilities are endless, winter and summer. Climate is good - cold in the winter, but not much snow and can be hot in the summer for a couple months, but you can always go to the desert or the mountains to escape.
Di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009   #9

There are a lot of conservative people here, lots of Christians and Guns.Good climbing.To hot in the summer for me.
luke c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009   #10

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegod View Post
When i hear that Such and Such Rock band is performing in that big city, I get pangs and wish that I could afford to get there and enjoy the concert etc without taking 2 days off work.
Andrew
Country Jam doesn't do it for you?
CanyonEJ is offline   Reply With Quote