Grand Junction- 5th St. Wave - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-23-2016   #1

Commercial Paleontology
Grand Junction- 5th St. Wave

Two surfable waves are in below 5th St.bridge at Gunny confluence as of yesterday. A bit surgy but nonetheless something at least to play on.

MtnGuyXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2016   #2

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuyXC View Post
Two surfable waves are in below 5th St.bridge at Gunny confluence as of yesterday. A bit surgy but nonetheless something at least to play on.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
surlygold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016   #3

Colorado springs, Colorado
Correct me if I'm wrong but there is no park n play at this feature correct?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Mountain Buzz mobile app
eholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2016   #4
tytanr

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
5th st. Wave

Not really unless you want to use the botanical gardens parking and come back on the bike path.
Ty Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016   #5

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
At some flows, you can actually make it work, but it is a little tricky, requires a bit of a hike, and may be detrimental to your health. You take Riverside Parkway to the light associated with the short stretch of 4th Ave. that dead ends at the railroad tracks. At the dead end, drive on the dirt "road" next to the tracks going under Riverside Parkway. You can park on the side of Riverside Parkway closest to the river. Unfortunately, this is basically in the middle of a prairie dog town, so try to avoid catching bubonic plague. From there, you can hike your boat to the river. Unfortunately, you will be at a small side channel and will need to ferry across to the island. The problem is that the head of the island, where you will want to go, may be flooded with water. Depending on the level, though, you may be able to hike across the island to the main flow, where the 5th St. wave is on the other side of the river. If the island is too flooded with water, you may still be able to use this parking spot, provided that you hike a little further upstream to the main flow.

P.S. I have stopped using this parking spot due to my fear of bubonic plague, and I get a ride or use a bike to shuttle back to the botanical gardens. The bike ride is very short.
surlygold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016   #6

Commercial Paleontology
5th St Wave parking

Not complicated: Approach like u are going to Botanical turn right & go down to the culdesac. Park. Hike boat over to beneath 5th St. bridge. Ferry across river to confluence & u are there. When finished ferry back across to island below railroad bridge. Depending on water u will have to ferry once again over to bike path then walk back up path to where u put in. If You park under the bridge where Surlygold mentioned with Prairie critters u wont have to hike up bike path to vehicle when finished but will have to hike path to get under 5th St. bridge to ferry over; so it is six of one half dozen of another.
MtnGuyXC is offline   Reply With Quote