Grand Jct 5th Street Play wave - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-12-2011   #1

Commercial Paleontology
Grand Jct 5th Street Play wave

Just a heads up.....If you are planning on accessing the wave from the usual parking lot right above the railroad trestle...make sure you put in above the trestle & take out so that you Do Not cross over the railroad tracks...The railroad Nazis are out these days looking to fine anyone crossing there property..They do have a Trespass sign right at the tracks before the bridge........Not sure why they are targeting the kayakers since about 40 homeless/bums live in a compound down at the confluence & they regularly use the railroad bridge as a footpath.....guess they figure we might actually have money to pay for the court case & fine..... the Wave has been excellent! but dropping out.

MtnGuyXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2011   #2

BV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
how do you get to the wave? i have never been there but heard from some people that its pretty good right now. would love some directions
tskoe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #3
giesend

GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
What about the pack of wild-ass dogs that attack boaters in the eddy? I'm new to town and was there for the first time last night. Seemed like it would be a great play feature, especially at higher flows, but you have to dodge barking dogs in the eddy. Just wondering if anyone's ever tried to do anything about this?

As for an alternate entry... we got in the river from the North, just above the 5th street bridge and floated into the wave. You can then get out and walk up the greenbelt to your car or paddle back up to the bridge with the low flows. This is not a bad option if you don't want deal with the train bridge or parking in bum-ville.
bluechev83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2011   #4
giesend

GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
It's definitely surf worthy right now. Not terribly retentive but a great way to beat the heat. I'm new to town as well so these directions are approximate.

I believe we went south on 7th street until it basically ends. The botanical gardens are at the end of the street. Take a right there and head to the end of the street. There should be a little circular area at the end of the street where you can park by the curb and then walk across the greenbelt and put in under 5th street. There were 4 friendly homeless folks there last night to greet us and inform us how to put our skirts on. Good luck!
bluechev83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #5
-k-

Denver via GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
We usually park across the river (north side) below the over pass and make the ferry across. The turn off is on the northwest side of the Riverside Parkway and 5th Street overpass by the tank farm. Ferries and walking the island are a bit of a pain, but beats the bums, dogs and railroad.

To be honest there are new waves up stream of 29 Road that rival it and are not as shallow. At the top of the wave train are some small, but entertaining standing waves. Below it are a series of holes that can be shallow, but decent side surf. The very bottom hole, river center is meaty and fun, but so far seems to be deep enough after some accidental probing by a friend. Word is to stay out of the bottom hole river left as it is shallow and meaty, its also good advice due to the wood lining the side.

If you feel like going today or tomorrow, hit me up.
Old 08-20-2011   #6

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
The whole issue with 5th street is bullshit. We finally get a wave that is great at lower water due to this year's High Run Off. And we cant even play safely in "OUR" public lands. Personally I feel bad for anybody how has had tough times and has to live on the streets. I dont feel bad when homeless people set up a 40 person river hilton with generators and through there shit in the river. Litterally it smells like a sewage plant below the conflunence. Mesa County has so many non-profit organizations that assist homeless individuals who need with food, shelter and job placement. These bums are taking advantage of our system.

Wait. The thing that pisses me off more is the fact that animal control wont do anything about these pitbulls not being on leashes. I have called multiple times and wrote letters about the issue with no response back. Just a reminder to everyone that 14 days is the legal limit for camping in one spot on public lands. No one now how to handle the situation.
gtownboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #7

Basalt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
anybody interested in hitting 5th street tomorrow morning early or late afternoon? im a super small girl and im not going to lie. i get really nervous going to there alone with the bum camp and dogs and what not.
one legged wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #8
-k-

Denver via GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
We are hitting 29 rd at 9. Boated with you on the ark in july.
Old 08-21-2011   #9

Basalt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
are the 29rd waves accessible for park ad play or do u have to float down to them?
one legged wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #10

Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Talk about an un-adulterated highjack of a thread!!! Ha ha!