Grand Canyon winter releases? - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-23-2015   #1

Knoxville, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 2013
Grand Canyon winter releases?

Headed to the canyon this winter Dec 17th-Jan 7th and I've seen conflicting data on winter releases. Most things I'm reading mention the water level is much lower than other times of the year. I'm crossing my fingers for big ass rapids so any info is appreciated!

OhNoItsKamryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2015   #2

GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhNoItsKamryn View Post
Headed to the canyon this winter Dec 17th-Jan 7th and I've seen conflicting data on winter releases. Most things I'm reading mention the water level is much lower than other times of the year. I'm crossing my fingers for big ass rapids so any info is appreciated!
GC flows are correlated to power demand in Peenix. Your time frame is the coldest of the year there. Thus, releases will be on the higher end of the spectrum: same as high summer when everyone's cranking their AC, and more than spring or fall when power demand is relatively lower.

I'd expect a range in the neighborhood of 10,000 to 18,000 cfs daily. Mind the tides when choosing campsites and parking boats!
Old 11-24-2015   #3
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Have an awesome trip down there! We launch dec. 18th next year, so would love to hear about it. Sounds like you should have great water like mike said, with the high power demand.
Kinda off topic, but have been taking a hot tent on winter trips recently, has been awesome!
Mine is an 8 man from seek outside, with the large size wood stove, just took it on west water, and it made a world of difference! Hang out/ go to sleep in a warm place, wake up and restart fire before you get up, warm, dry gear to put on in morning, was worth every penny.
Thought i'd share, more gear to buy, but might be a worth while group expence, think our low's this weekend were in low to mid 20's, average low's at phantom should be warmer then that, which makes me happy.
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2015   #4

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ber-59523.html

That link has the plan for December. The bureau or Reclamation puts out estimated releases. You should be able to find a newer estimate if you do some searching.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015   #5

Knoxville, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 2013
Thanks a bunch

I appreciate the feedback y'all! I'm beyond excited and looking forward to some big water. Cold cold cold. I'm prepped and ready though!
OhNoItsKamryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015   #6

Try to time it to hit Hermit when the river is at its highest - you'll be happy you did. Big water.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015   #7

Professional Transient, See above.
Even when the flows are lower, there is still bigger water down there. Around the 6k-8k range the Roaring Twenties come to life for example. Georgie lives up to her (Grand Canyon size rating of 1-10) rating at lower flows and is SUPER fun.

Some stuff washes out while other stuff comes out. However, at lower flows, all the big ones get pretty mellow in a raft for the most part (Granite, Hermit, Lava). Crystal has lots of different personalities at various flows. I've only gotten to run Hance once since it's new rockslide a few years back, though lower flows the center to right line is techie and fun.

I recommend grabbing a "sun dial," which is a listing of the popular camps that tells you when the sun rise/sun set hits each camp depending on the month. Super handy in the winter. I've got one around here somewhere if you need it.

Enjoy!!
st2eelpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015   #8

Evereywhere, State of Bliss
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by st2eelpot View Post
I recommend grabbing a "sun dial," which is a listing of the popular camps that tells you when the sun rise/sun set hits each camp depending on the month. Super handy in the winter. I've got one around here somewhere if you need it. Enjoy!!
So I tried to google this sundial. Where exactly can i find one of these?? Launching Dec 12. Thanks.
tteton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015   #9

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by tteton View Post
So I tried to google this sundial. Where exactly can i find one of these?? Launching Dec 12. Thanks.
http://ceibaadventures.com/wp-conten..._Almanac-3.pdf
Old 11-24-2015   #10

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 09
If you look at the data from the last five years for the time you are going down and the projection from the Bureau of Rec. it looks like you will have flows between 10k and 20k. which is not to bad, a lot of good rides i you time the high water for your rapids. Its a little tricky to figure out the tides if you can't add or don't pay attention for the first few days. Totally agree time hermit at high water for a fun ride and yes between those levels your boats will need tending at night so they don't end up on rocks. Have a great trip! Hike as much as possible to stay warm!! Matkat canyon is a magical place!!
flite is offline   Reply With Quote