Grand Canyon Waiting List - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-05-2006   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Grand Canyon Waiting List

Regarding the changes to the waiting list, I understand that the Three-Stage Expedited Transition Option is likely to be selected.. or has it already been selected. Either way, have dates been set or proposed for the 2 month windows for stage 1 and 2? Thanks for any guidance. Nick

Nickdanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2006   #2

GC Waiting List

Get ready for a long ride through a bureaucratic-sounding explanation.

First the technical background. The Park Service is working on issuing the Record of Decision (ROD), which will finalize the Final Environmenal Impact Statement (FEIS) for the Colorado River Management Plan (CRMP). No guarantees, but the ROD should be issued this month, and then the work on the CRMP will be finalized. The CRMP should contain the provisions of the FEIS, with additional explanatory action.

Now on the three step transition plan. The Park included that in the FEIS, and it will almost certainly be included in the CRMP. There is no reason to think it won't be the method they use to eliminate the current huge waiting list.

As to timing, the Park has said that it wants to start the transition in February. From that I conclude that sometime in the next 6-7 weeks the Park will be sending people on the list a formal explanation of what their options are.

If you want to track this issue, you may want to periodically check on the Grand Canyon Private Boaters site -- gcpba.org. They are following this pretty closely, and have several forms for letting people plan trips, including one specicially for helping people on the list who want to combine list numbers with others on the list.

Hope this helps.

Richp
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #3

Continuing Interest?

So - are they still doing a continuing interest form for those already on the list? I haven't gotten one for this year and all I can find on the website is the 05 form. Anyone know what's up with that?
WspSteamboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2006   #4

I don't know what's up with that, but I do have a raft..........just so you know.........in case you need another when your trip comes up.
ebaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #5

No worries Baker - I'm thinking Spring 2018. I'll let you know
Old 01-05-2006   #6

Sweet! We were thinking of getting a winter launch, but it never happened.
ebaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #7

GC Transition

Here is a quote from a Park Service message sent shortly after the FEIS came out.

"Because of these pending changes, the current “Continuing Interest” (CI) requirement has been waived for this winter, and the “Initial Scheduling” process has been postponed until February 1st, 2006."

If you have doubts and want to confirm, I'm sure someone at the River Office could do so.

For what it's worth.

Richp
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #8

Thanks Rich - that's what I thought but wanted to make sure.
Old 01-06-2006   #9
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Will prostitute for grand trip

i've got rafts, cats, groovers, coolers, and I promise to give oil rubs to all the ladies (well, maybe some of them).
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #10

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Thanks

Thanks for the update Rich. I'll check that website you reference.
Nickdanger is offline   Reply With Quote