Grand Canyon Surf? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-14-2014   #1

Knoxville, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 1995
Grand Canyon Surf?

Headed to the big ditch at the end of the month. I've done some web searches, but they haven't been very fruitful. OregonKayaking.net reports on the wave at the bottom of President Harding - and at a campsite (http://oregonkayaking.net/rivers/grand_canyon/grand_canyon_36.html). I'm going to lobby hard for that camp site. But are there other specific spots where we should keep and eye out for? Or adjust our daily plans for? I realize that the water levels fluctuate substantially thanks to Glen Canyon Damn -- and that affects the surfability of any given wave.

alexz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2014   #2

SW, Colorado
I've heard about the President Harding wave, but have never seen it. Don't think it exists.

There is tons of awesome on-the-fly surf. The gems have some of the most concentrated great waves if I recall. Do yourself a favor and bring a fast boat, so you can catch all the waves!
fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014   #3

Colorado Springs Paddling Since: 1983
The right side Pres. Harding used to be phenomenal, but then it changed about 12 years ago. The left side can be good depending on the flow. I don't think it's worth lobbying to camp near there though
Mike Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2014   #4
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
There's a really nice hole at the top of Lava Rapid, in the center. I think they call it "ledge" something. You'll be able to surf there all day long.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014   #5

Knoxville, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
There's a really nice hole at the top of Lava Rapid, in the center. I think they call it "ledge" something. You'll be able to surf there all day long.

Sweet. Thanks for the super useful beta. I'll be sure to blindly drop into that one while everybody else is scouting. Actually, I think I'll chuck my paddle to score extra points.

Why do some people transform into absolute douches when they get behind the keyboard?
alexz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014   #6

Randy's kind of a douche in person as well
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014   #7
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexz View Post
Sweet. Thanks for the super useful beta. I'll be sure to blindly drop into that one while everybody else is scouting. Actually, I think I'll chuck my paddle to score extra points.

Why do some people transform into absolute douches when they get behind the keyboard?
I was making a lighthearted joke, sorry if I offended you. My condolences to the people you're spending three weeks with. They have to carry your gear and your ego. Bummer.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014   #8

Denver / Coloma / Monterey, CO / CA
Paddling Since: 1971
The wave in Prez Harding hasn't been much the last few times I've been there, over various levels. It's a lousy camp for the rafts too, as the eddy surges a lot, making loading and unloading a bear. As for surfing, I'd take a long, fast boat and plan on getting as many catch-on-the-fly waves as I could. Pyranha Z.One or Dagger Axiom come to mind. Have fun!
Kyle K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014   #9

Redneck (elevator eddy on river left)
24 mile
85 mile
Salt canyon
Hakatai!!
Lava (big kahuna) off black rock

Heading there on commercial kayak trip myself 6/11!!
mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014   #10

Bisters, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
Basalt rapid gives up huge surfs
jmacn is offline   Reply With Quote