Grand Canyon Secondary Lottery Results Posted - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 12-11-2006   #1

Grand Canyon Secondary Lottery Results Posted

Hi Everyone,

The results of the Secondary Lottery are now available at
https://npspermits.us/grandcanyon/ri...6-Lottery.html

It appears there were ten winter dates that folks didn't opt for, likely because this first lottery was held so close to the launch dates. As before, there were large numbers of applications for Spring and Fall trips.

Question of the day -- Why didn't anyone want to take a small trip on June 7th?

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
VP, GCPBA

Join Grand Canyon Private Boaters Association at http://www.gcpba.org. click on "Join", and support active, ongoing private boater representation on Grand Canyon issues.

richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2006   #2

Father of illegitimate San Juan sasquatch children, Climax. CO
-The small trip on june 7th wasn't in the calender database when applying for a permit. That day was blocked out. Ask the Park service why we couldn't apply for it, that's the real question.
-Do you have any input on what they will do for those unclaimed dates? Somebody is going to want them. Is there time for another lottery? Is there time for a call-in scheme?
-please let us know if you get any info.
Thanks Rich,
John Wade
floaty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #3

Father of illegitimate San Juan sasquatch children, Climax. CO
-Also, the statistics say that 35 lottery dates where awarded. I counted 38 awarded.
-Also, it says that ten were not awarded and I counted 7 unawarded.
-Yea it adds up to 45. But are there really ten or are there 7 unawarded dates?
-Again, I know its a new system. I am just wondering what the real numbers are.
thanks, John Wade
floaty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2006   #4

Hi,

IIRC, what happened last time is that there were a few bugs in the statistical tabulation side of the program, which were cleaned up in the aftemath. Their focus was on the actual workings of the lottery, and the reporting module understandably may have been a lower priority for debugging.

We have been told that there likely will be a call-in system for the very last minute vacant launch dates, but I don't know for sure. I have an email in to the River Office asking for some more info, and I'll pass it on when I get it.

Looking back on the timeline here, the signing of the Record of Decision (that actually triggered this whole lottery process) was delayed by the final decisionmakers elsewhere in the Interior Department The Park itself couldn't really start hammering this thing down until they knew what had been approved. So the River Office had a much shorter time than they really needed to get the programs written and put the system into effect. Next time around, there should be very little of this kind of confusion.

Best to you.

Rich Phillips
VP, GCPBA

Join Grand Canyon Private Boaters Association at http://www.gcpba.org. click on "Join", and support active, ongoing private boater representation on Grand Canyon issues.
Old 12-11-2006   #5

Secondary Lottery Info

Here's Steve Sullivan's response to our inquiry on the seemingly unclaimed June launch, as well as how the remaining dates will be handled.

Hi Rich,

Thanks. I also received a question from Doc about the June small trip launch that mysteriously appears on the statistics page -- this is a mistake, and I have forwarded a request on to the programmer to fix it. There was no available June 7th small trip launch, and it was not available for the lottery.

You asked about what will happen to the remaining open launches. I've been asked by the programmers to hold off on lotteries for a while (maybe 2 months) to give them time to improve the site. So, your question is really in reference to the January 7, 8, 10, 11, 13, 14, 20, and February 3 and 5 launches. I need to work out the final details with the River Office, but I expect to make these available through the River Office information line (the cancellation line no longer exists) starting some time in the future, possibly next week.

This kind of a release would first be announced through emails. We will probably use a similar format to what we used in the past: On Monday anyone who has 6 or more chances could call-in and claim a date on a first-call, first-served basis. On Tuesday anyone with 5 or more chances could call in and apply. This pattern would continue until Friday when anyone with 1 or more chances could call-in and apply. All rules would remain in effect including the 1 trip per year rule.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or hear any other key discussion points. I appreciate the help.

Sincerely,
Steve Sullivan

FYI,

Rich Phillips
VP, GCPBA

oin Grand Canyon Private Boaters Association at http://www.gcpba.org. click on "Join", and support active, ongoing private boater representation on Grand Canyon issues.