Grand Canyon Safety Question... - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-06-2009   #1

Down by the River, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
Grand Canyon Safety Question...

So, I have a Grand Canyon trip for March. I've only had the permit for 2 weeks and am having a helluva time getting boatmen to commit. I had potentially 9 boats invited and for whatever reason it looks as if none of my buddies can make it....Economy, jobs, timing, and lots of other reasons.

I'm still waiting to hear back from a couple of boatmen and a kayaker or 2. However, I have 2 chicas that want to go. My thought is to go anyway. 1 boat with 2 hot chicas and myself (ugly dude). Am I crazy to run the Grand as 1 boat? I figure I can scout the big ones and wait for another trip to show and run it with them. Up early and off early... Surely, people would be accomodating to my situation, don't you think?

We would be so efficient on the Grand we would be able to do a shit load of cool stuff that a herd of turtles could not. So, on that side it would be amazing! However, I'm concerned about safety and such. Yes, I could bring strangers... However, if they are shit bags we are stuck with them. Where as, if we hooked up with various others to run the biggies... We aren't stuck with any shit bags.

This will be my 3rd trip. So, I am some what experienced but I don't want to be stupid. Any thoughts?

By the way... No mini-me for me with the current ituation. It is unfortunate b/c I set the mini up for a Grand trip.

boatmusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2009   #2
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Its been done. if you flipped you would have to self rescue a loaded raft. as you know most of the rapids have long pools after. You have plenty of time to find one other boat you trust. I have been on two separate GC trips with only three boats and that is plenty to help with rescues and such.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009   #3

Down by the River, Idaho
Yeah, I've been looking for another boatman. Trust is HUGE!

How does one self-rescue a 15 ft fully rigged boat with only 3 people? In the "perfect" conditions I can see running a z-drag type set-up but not just any where. Though, I suppose with a little assistance from a wave it would be easier to re-flip.

I only mentioned "hot chicas" b/c I figured a Grand trip would be stoked to come across (and then run the rapid) 2 girls and only 1 dude. Crazy thing is... Another non-boat rowing girl just told me she wants to go. Who ever heard of a Grand trip with lots of women and no boats?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2009   #4
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatmusher View Post
Another non-boat rowing girl just told me she wants to go. Who ever heard of a Grand trip with lots of women and no boats?!
I think that settles it. you're going no matter what.

oh and p.s. I will join you if somehow $3k lands in my lap to make up for lost wages.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009   #5

Down by the River, Idaho
Only problem.... I'm only allowed 2 passengers on my 15 footer per the NPS.

So, you'd row down it in my position... In all seriousness?
Old 02-06-2009   #6

You are a lucky man. No brainer going. You'll probably see a few other groups while your there. Talk to them and run the bigger rapids with them for the support. Hell, maybe you will be helping them! We'll be there early in the month so if we see you feel free to tag along.

Have fun!
rafterbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009   #7

DO it

My wife and I did a 30 day 1 boat trip last Jan/Feb and it was great. We hooked up with a couple of different groups for the majority of the big bumps. We had an 18' Avon spirit and loaded it to more that max. I would recommended getting a bigger boat to accommodate your crew and talk with another group about doing a beer cache somewhere below lava.

Avoid taking out at Diamond. It will cost a extra $500-1000 and you beat the shit out of your rig. It is also a real buzz kill to drive out of the canyon at that part of the trip. If time is a factor you could get to South cove in 3-4 days even if you don't have a motor.

I still have that Avon. I would like to get rid of it so PM me if you are interested.

Have a great trip.
oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009   #8

B.F.E., Wyoming
Man there you go! three Chicas and one dude on a river for a couple of weeks? No question about it...
DO IT!
freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009   #9

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1492
RU Kidding????? I'm launching on 4/20 with my wife and 14 other people, and I'd trade you places in a heartbeat, just to have the peace and quiet. If you drop the coin and upgrade to a nice 18footer that is well-rigged, and wait for people at Lava and maybe a couple others, you won't have any problems. If you know what you're doing, you're probably not gonna flip. Think of the endless possibilities for you and 2-3 women.......
I know, that's a sexist comment, but ya gotta love the idea.......
Old 02-07-2009   #10

Down by the River, Idaho
Dude, Thanks for the encouragement! The plan is to go! I'm not going to run any other boat other than my trusty ol' 15 footer. It is important to look at your boat and know it ran the Grand...Regardless of what happens.

Thanks for the encouragement... A lot! I need to show this to one of the girls to make her feel confident! I love boating! Rivers and river people are what makes it so amazing! Thanks to all!....