http://www.nps.gov/grca/crmp/index.htm

More private use!!!

riojedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2005   #2

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
The private use increase is either all or mostly during the winter months when the commercial operators can't give away trips. Additionally the trip lengths are shortened for everyone, so you'd better be ready to keep paddling/rowing for longer days on the water and don't stop to enjoy the scenery. Kind of like the average American's lifestyle...

--Andy
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005   #3

C. Springs, Colorado
Andy's right. We basically got shafted with shorter trips. Time to break out the motors if you plan to do much side hiking and still make it to camp. Lay over days????? What lay over day?????????????
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2005   #4
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
I'll summarize private boater info for those who dont want to RTFA:

Noncommercial trip sizes would remain at the current level of 16 people (standard), and a new group size of 8 (small) would be offered to reduce campsite competition along the river.

The maximum noncommercial oar trip length would be reduced to 16 days in the summer (from 18 ), 18 days September 1-15 (from 21), 21 days in the remainder of the shoulder seasons (from 21), and 25 days in winter (from 30 days currently).

March to October Noncommercial use would not be capped, increasing to 79,399 user-days (from an average of 51,889).

Winter use would increase to accommodate approximately 1,855 people per year. (from 31

Recreational passengers, whether commercial or noncommercial, will be limited to one river trip per year from Lees Ferry to Diamond Creek.

Visitation at the mouth of Tapeats and Kanab Creeks will be restricted to day-use only.

To protect humpback chub, visitation at the southern half of the Little Colorado River will be restricted seasonally (March 1 to November 30).

----------
so count me in for a winter trip if anyone is going... seriously.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005   #5

GC FEIS Released

A few words of clarification and information.

The document released by the NPS is actually a Final Environmental Impact Statement, not the actual Colorado River Management Plan. It is something like 1,500 pages in length (including appendices and attachments) and it's going to take a little time to fully analyze. Development of the final plan -- with all the nuts and bolts tightened down -- will start after the 30-day no-comment period.

The total number of private launches is about doubled -- to more than 500. All the new launches are not in the winter, and in fact a small and large launch every day in the summer season constitutes a significant increase in launch opportunities for private GC boaters in that season.

Yes, there are some places where access has been trimmed and trip length has been slightly reduced. Nobody got everything they wanted. But as occurs with many things in such a diverse society, compromise was necessary. The NPS had many competing interests to balance here (private, commercial, Native American, political) and numerous regulatory and statutory requirements to meet.

It will take some time to see how it all sorts itself out, But on balance, the plan looks like the interests of private boaters were advanced in a significant, positive way.

For what it's worth.

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005   #6

Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H.
The private use increase is either all or mostly during the winter months when the commercial operators can't give away trips. Additionally the trip lengths are shortened for everyone, so you'd better be ready to keep paddling/rowing for longer days on the water and don't stop to enjoy the scenery. Kind of like the average American's lifestyle...

--Andy
I have not had chance to read the Exec Summary yet, but I someone I know has read the entire report already (the changes are highlighted, so it's not really a full 1500 pages if you read the draft) and I spoke with him this morning about this exact issue. He said there were proportionally more trips added in the winter, but the gain in the summer is significant -- about double the number of launches in the summer months as before. That's a better deal if you ask me. Privates going from what, 12% (?) to 50% is progress. Not the end though - I won't be happy until there is one list for everyone, commercial and private alike. But it is an improvement and better than the original Alternative H was.

Can't say I like shorter trips either, but I can say that we lollygagged a LOT and had three layover days on an 18 day trip, sans motor. I think you could easily do two layover days on a 16 day trip. You might miss a couple attractions, but if the wait is that much shorter, you can maybe go again in six years instead of never again. I think the trade is worth it --- for now. The 50/50 split is still completely arbitrary and IMNSHO illegally disenfranchising us.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005   #7
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
we did two layover days and hiked just about everything on a 14 day trip (at 20,000 cfs). it didn't feel too short. personally i hate layover days.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote