I usually get the e-mails for the follow-up lotteries, but nothing for this. Apparenly their server is down and the reason for the call-in system versus on-line. Anyway, this is from the website (Grand Canyon National Park - Available Noncommercial River Launch Dates (U.S. National Park Service)
Wednesday, September 14, 2011 through Friday, September 16, 2011 we will be utilizing our backup CALL-IN SYSTEM to re-award recently cancelled noncommercial river trip launch dates for trips launching within the next few months.
Please see the information below regarding what trips are available, how the call-in system works, when you are eligible to call, and why the backup call-in system is being used.
WHAT LAUNCH DATES ARE AVAILABLE?
All available launches are for non-motorized, Standard Sized trips (for 1 to 16 people):
HOW DOES THE CALL-IN SYSTEM WORK?
- September 2011: 18, 19, 23, 26
- October 2011: 2, 5, 9, 12, 13, 17, 19, 22, 23, 27
- November 2011: 3, 4, 5, 27, 28
- December 2011: 6, 17, 20
The call-in system works by giving priority access to available launches based on the applicant's chances, awarding each launch on a first-call, first-served basis to the first eligible caller who pays the required $400 deposit. Only live calls to 1-800-959-9164 option 5 from eligible callers are considered (messages will be ignored). Again, eligibility to claim these river launch dates is based on how many points the applicant has and works as follows:
Wednesday, September 14, 2011
Thursday, September 15, 2011
- 8am to noon MST: Only people with Bonus Points can call-in and claim launches. These are folks from the old waitlist system who in 2006 were awarded one bonus point for each year they had been waiting on the list. Their bonus points expire when they either win a trip or go on any river trip (commercial or noncommercial) through any part of the Lees Ferry to Diamond Creek section of the River.
- 1pm to 5pm MST: People with 5 Standard Points can call.
Friday, September 16, 2011
- 8am to noon MST: People with 4 or more Standard Points can call.
- 1pm to 5pm MST: People with 3 or more Standard Points can call.
WHERE CAN I GET UPDATED INFORMATION ON WHAT DATES REMAIN AVAILABLE?
- 8am to noon MST: People with 2 or more Standard Points can call.
- 1pm to 5pm MST: People with 1 or more Standard Points can call.
Updated information will be available:
- on this web page
- by calling 1-800-959-9164, option 4
This information will be updated by 1pm and 5:30pm on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.
WHY IS THE BACKUP CALL-IN SYSTEM BEING USED?
Recently the server hosting the npspermits.us website suffered a hardware failure. The fix is going nicely, and we expect the site to be reactivated in a more resilient server environment in October. Until then, we will be utilizing our backup call-in system for distributing current year launches from recently cancelled trips.