Grand Canyon passenger exchange - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-18-2008   #1
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Grand Canyon passenger exchange

Howdy everyone. I have a quick question for the masses. Any info would be appreciated as always.

I received my permit info for my Canyon trip in April and it says that people switching spots at Phantom count as 2 people. It only says this in regard to $. Does this count toward the number of people on my permit, or just for the extra $100. Any additional info about hiking in/out?

Happy Holidays.

~R

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2008   #2

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I would pose your questions to these groups.

gcpba : Grand Canyon Private Boaters Association

Rafting_Grand_Canyon : Rafting Grand Canyon

I believe that each person has to pay, but the number of people on the river is your permit total. So if you have a 16 person permit, you start with 16 and end with 16. As long as the same number of people hike out as hike in, your fine.

Hike in on the Kaibab trail, out on the Bright Angel trail. The Kaibab is shorter, but has no water. The BA trail is longer, but has water at Indian Gardens and then when you get closer to the rim.
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008   #3
Spits Hot Fire

N. Cascades, Washington
Yep, thats it. Each person, even those jumpin on at phantom pay 100$, no more than 16 on the river at any time.
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2008   #4
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Sweet. I don't want to miss out on making my hiker inner bring a backpack full of dry ice! We only have an 8 person trip so I want to keep it at 8 the whole time.

Anyone want to loan me a water filter, sat phone, or inflatable woman?
Old 12-18-2008   #5

Buena Vista/Summit, N/A
Paddling Since: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhyman View Post
I would pose your questions to these groups.

gcpba : Grand Canyon Private Boaters Association

Rafting_Grand_Canyon : Rafting Grand Canyon

I believe that each person has to pay, but the number of people on the river is your permit total. So if you have a 16 person permit, you start with 16 and end with 16. As long as the same number of people hike out as hike in, your fine.

Hike in on the Kaibab trail, out on the Bright Angel trail. The Kaibab is shorter, but has no water. The BA trail is longer, but has water at Indian Gardens and then when you get closer to the rim.
when I went in 05' one person got f'ed hiking in. we started with 14, 3 hiked out putting the amount of people at 11. 3 were supposed to hike in putting the trip back to 14. Only 2 were allowed to hike down making the trip total 16 in its entirety. the way I took it was the entire amount of people on the trip can't go over 16. We found all this out at Lee's ferry, the TL had to call the ousted participant and break the bad news.
1whitewattafoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008   #6

ww guide/ frame builder/welder, mobile fabrication gig
Paddling Since: 1988
the grand is a poosy
Old 12-19-2008   #7

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1whitewattafoo View Post
when I went in 05' one person got f'ed hiking in. we started with 14, 3 hiked out putting the amount of people at 11. 3 were supposed to hike in putting the trip back to 14. Only 2 were allowed to hike down making the trip total 16 in its entirety. the way I took it was the entire amount of people on the trip can't go over 16. We found all this out at Lee's ferry, the TL had to call the ousted participant and break the bad news.
We had a full 16 person permit in November. 4 hiked out, 4 hiked in with no problems.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008   #8

Ran

[quote=Randaddy;121959]Howdy everyone. I have a quick question for the masses. Any info would be appreciated as always.

Hey Ran. I'm John Allard, Woody Creek, Colorado. I would like to join a GC trip. I have an 18' raft with motor capabilities, (or not). I have substantial gear and I am a good cook and river trip participant. I ran GC in 2007, all the way to South Cove. April suits me fine and I can financially contribute.
Thanks, Merry X-mas
Johnny Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008   #9
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
[QUOTE=Johnny Colorado;121998]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
Howdy everyone. I have a quick question for the masses. Any info would be appreciated as always.

Hey Ran. I'm John Allard, Woody Creek, Colorado. I would like to join a GC trip. I have an 18' raft with motor capabilities, (or not). I have substantial gear and I am a good cook and river trip participant. I ran GC in 2007, all the way to South Cove. April suits me fine and I can financially contribute.
Thanks, Merry X-mas
Sorry John, the trip is full and the waiting list is pretty deep. If anything changes I'll be sure to let you know.
Old 12-19-2008   #10
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
For anyone that is curious about the official rule, I just spoke to the Grand Canyon River office. Having someone hike in counts as an additional person, even if someone is hiking out. So technically if you have 16 people start on a standard trip, nobody is supposed to hike in.