Grand Canyon of the Stikine, Yukon - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-28-2010   #1

Professional Transient, See above.
Grand Canyon of the Stikine, Yukon

Howdy! I'm going up to Alaska at the end of August to run the Tatshenshini (class III/float). However, doing some research, it looks like it wouldn't be too far out of the way to go fire up the Grand Canyon of the Stikine. This would also be at an easier water level to run this (August-Sept being non-highwater). It is a class V+ big water run. One of the classics on the North American Continent.

So, I may go look to fire it up either on the drive up to Alaska in mid-August, or on the way back in early September.

Just an idea at this point, though I'm starting to do the research on it. Anyone here run it? Know anyone who's run it? Anyone want to run it with me?

Thought I'd drop the line to all of you buzzards a few months before the trip to see what info I can find.

I will be driving my station wagon from Colorado to Haines, AK for the Tatshenshini trip, so I could carry a boat for someone up there potentially.

Cheers!

st2eelpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2010   #2

Student
Send a message via AIM to xkayaker13
I'm not sure if this post is a joke, but it is supposed to be one of the hardest rivers in the world. That being said, if your good enough to run it you should probably know people that would be interested. Poking around on the buzz to meet people probably isn't a good bet. You want to trust the people your with when shit hits the fan.
Old 02-28-2010   #3

Professional Transient, See above.
Nope, no joke. More just doing homework on it. Heard about it for years. Now I'll actually be in the area. Looking to talk to someone who has run it. Not specifically looking for partners unless you've run it.
st2eelpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010   #4
CGM

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I don't know anyone that has run the Stikine, and I have very little interest. But if you think you are ready more power to you. Like Christian said, if you're ready to run the Stikine, you'll probably know at least a few of the 30 or so people that have run it since its first decent in the 80's....something tells me you are not going to have people popping out of the woodwork with details on the Buzz. This isn't Gore Canyon, its the Stikine. Here's a link to a "Short History of the Grand Canyon of the Stikine" by Doug Ammons. It makes the hair stand up on my neck.
A Short History of the Grand Canyon of the Stikine River
Good luck.
Old 03-01-2010   #5

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
The film "Aerated" has some good footage of the stikine. I also read an article about a guy who tried to run it in a cataraft. You better have skills that are on par with the best big water paddlers in the world if you are even thinking about it. Going from a class III float to the Stikine is like going from the bunny hill to a 50 degree pitch with multiple, manadatory 50 ft cliffs. Doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
nervouswater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010   #6
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
i think youre misunderstanding the poor guy.

hes not a class III boater; hes a guy who will be on a class III river that is nearby. i havent seen mr steel 2 pots paddle but i can betcha he knows what hes talking about here.....
Old 03-01-2010   #7

Eagle, Colorado
I don't think the kind of boaters that go on the Stikine plan huge trips (like to Alaska) to paddle class III in the first place, which would lead me to believe that he is not in the same league as them.
nervouswater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010   #8

Denver, Colorado
Doug Ammons wrote a great article about the stikine that was published in Kayak Session. Don't remember when, but it was in the last year or so I think. It had a bit more info that the history link posted by CGM, but it was in the same vein. It also listed all of the folks that had run the stikine. Its a short list of badasses. If you want first hand info, thats your contact list.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nervouswater View Post
I don't think the kind of boaters that go on the Stikine plan huge trips (like to Alaska) to paddle class III in the first place, which would lead me to believe that he is not in the same league as them.
Some of the sickest boaters I know enjoy class 3 and 4. The Tatshenshini is like the Grand Canyon with more bears and better scenery. Know any class V boaters who've spent a lot of time and money to do a trip down the class 3-4 Grand Canyon? Me too.

The Stikine sounds like the gnar. Good luck with your research.
Old 03-01-2010   #10
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
st2eel has run the futa, zambezi, black canyon, etc. i trust him with my life.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote