Grand Canyon of the Stikine, Yukon - Page 9 - Mountain Buzz
 



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-17-2010   #81
 
Golden, Colorado
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhcreeker View Post
I have to wonder....what makes one a "great paddling legend of the Rocky Mountains"? There's hundreds of us in these parts paddling hard every season and pushing limits...whether they are record descents or personal achievements. Many surely as much as craporadon. Legends? No.....just folks with a passion for being on the water. Forget the glory, it's about the high fives at the end of the day surrounded by fantastic friends and lifelong memories.
Nah... I think that paddlers who have been at it a while know who the legends are, especially the ones in their region. I don't think glory has anything to do with it. They are not showered with glory by admirers, at least not in this sport.

The idea of super passionate paddlers pushing their limits is cool, but that description fits me and everybody I paddle with. It is common. Legends are uncommon.

Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-17-2010   #82
 
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 80
jhcreeker: I would say a big difference is that I know who Nick Turner and Doug Ammons are but I have no clue who you and your paddling buddies are. That's not meant to be condescending, but in order to be a legend, I think the minimum qualification is that people have at least heard of you. I don't like hearing the "old school" put down the new school, but I also equally dislike hearing people put down or diminish the accomplishments of the legends of the sport. Is the average pro snowboarder now better than Terje Haakonsen, Peter line, or Jim Rippy ever was? For sure. But that doesn't mean that every modern pro snowboarder is a legend. The legends like Terje pushed well beyond the limits of what was the status quo at the time, just like Nick and Doug did with kayaking.
nervouswater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010   #83
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,199
This has certainly gotten off topic!
But to be a "legend" requires a certain name recognition and history.

Who is craporadon?
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-17-2010   #84
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 404
I apolagize for hijacking a perfectly good thread a couple days ago to vent at newschoolers getting called a "fad". I also did not use a considerate tone to speak to an elder and would have edited my post for tone 30 seconds after posting but I hav'nt figured out how to do that on the buzz yet. I also was not speaking of Ammons "legacy" as an individual I was speaking of the whole generation.

My whole point was young or old, It's all about the feeling at the bottom of the drop or after accomplishing something on the river. When you are so stoked you are overwhelmed by emotion and want to shout. At that moment it does'nt matter if your 50 or 15, on class 3 or class 5, and whether anybody knows your name or not. Because that moment is all yours, nobody can interpret it, critique it or judge it. You own that moment and it is the best feeling in the world. That is the moment when we are legends, not whether someone else determines you to be one.
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010   #85
 
tj@cu's Avatar
 
Boulder, Colorado
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutch View Post
I guess my definition of legend is a bit loose, but for starters, anyone that I looked up to (as a kayaker) in high school, has been paddling longer than I have, has started businesses solely for the love of the sport, has spent countless hours writing about the sport they love in an effort to share it with others, has traveled through well over a dozen countries in search of great rivers and creeks, and has taken the time to mentor or teach other young kayakers. I'm far from that status of legend, as are most others. Aaron Pruzan comes to mind almost immediately for the Rocky Mountain status. Despite past differences, Rob Lesser certainly would as well. Doug Ammons makes that list and so does Craporadon. And this is all just my opinion... but since you asked I'd say that's the start of legend status.
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Tom/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
There are certainly hundreds of us pushing the limits every year, but few stick with it for even 10 years at the level that those above have. Even fewer for 20 years, and a rare few keep pushing hard much longer than 30 years. Just because I'm passionate and charge hard and realize that it's about the high fives at the end of the day, doesn't mean that I'm a legend. Otherwise I'd be linking to my own name under Outside Magazine's top adventurers.

The way I can tell if someone is a legend is I compare them to Joe Keck, now I know many can come close but there will only be one Joe Keck.
here is a checklist of are you as legendary as Joe Keck
1) You swim 10 times in a year
2) You consider any creek with over 100 cfs a big water run
3) You consider the source a big water run (or should this be 2b?)
4) A boat in your hands doesn't last longer than 2 weeks before you break it
5) You go to the South East and even they call you inbred
6) On time for you is at least an hour behind when you said you would be there
7)When harpooning whales you like to give out an orca call
9) you think spray painting in a closed area at a party is a good idea
10) you're Mustache will get you arrested and charged with being the guy in the van with no windows asking kids if they want some candy.
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010   #86
 
Force's Avatar
 
Bham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1997
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The way I can tell if someone is a legend is I compare them to Joe Keck, now I know many can come close but there will only be one Joe Keck.
here is a checklist of are you as legendary as Joe Keck
1) You swim 10 times in a year
2) You consider any creek with over 100 cfs a big water run
3) You consider the source a big water run (or should this be 2b?)
4) A boat in your hands doesn't last longer than 2 weeks before you break it
5) You go to the South East and even they call you inbred
6) On time for you is at least an hour behind when you said you would be there
7)When harpooning whales you like to give out an orca call
9) you think spray painting in a closed area at a party is a good idea
10) you're Mustache will get you arrested and charged with being the guy in the van with no windows asking kids if they want some candy.
Classic! Joe check my stache. I think I made a small girl cry today...
__________________
The high side of good - Daniel D
Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010   #87
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 71
[email protected] you are hilarious!!!!!!!!!!! Poor Joe... Classic icebreaker though!

Craporadon- your passion is visible!! Love it!
WW Lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010   #88
 
jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1997
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by nervouswater View Post
jhcreeker: I would say a big difference is that I know who Nick Turner and Doug Ammons are but I have no clue who you and your paddling buddies are. That's not meant to be condescending, but in order to be a legend, I think the minimum qualification is that people have at least heard of you. I don't like hearing the "old school" put down the new school, but I also equally dislike hearing people put down or diminish the accomplishments of the legends of the sport. Is the average pro snowboarder now better than Terje Haakonsen, Peter line, or Jim Rippy ever was? For sure. But that doesn't mean that every modern pro snowboarder is a legend. The legends like Terje pushed well beyond the limits of what was the status quo at the time, just like Nick and Doug did with kayaking.

Gosh this is fun! Obviously I wasn't at all implying that I was a legend. And I wasn't putting anyone down. It was a simple question. And I have to agree that "legend" could be interpreted in many ways. I consider several of the "old boys" that I paddle with regularly to be legends....at least to me, they are my mentors in many ways. And in certain circles they are very highly regarded, legendary even. Someone else with a different standard or point of view probably wouldn't agree.
I think much of it depends on where you are from and how much you pay attention to the current/past mainstream accomplishments in our sport. Someone could be extremely well respected in the S.E., but a 30 year paddler (not me)from J.H. might have never heard of him. Or even care for that matter. And vice-versa.

Jon Wiedie
Jackson, WY
humble unknown river enthusiast
[email protected]
jhcreeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010   #89
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
This has certainly gotten off topic!
But to be a "legend" requires a certain name recognition and history.

Who is craporadon?

Mr. Turner.....Unfortunately his legendary status was very much tarnished when he moved to Eagle county.
__________________
I will destroy you.
routter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010   #90
 
hullflyer's Avatar
 
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 191
Hey Dave, I saw a writeup on the Stikine. He's run it a couple of times. has a short story, and a few nice pics.
Stikine River | Telluride Kayak School
__________________

hullflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Topic Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Little Grand Canyon? Gtwo Whitewater Kayaking 2 04-29-2009 08:01 AM
Grand Canyon whip Whitewater Kayaking 2 03-12-2009 06:54 PM
Yukon River Descent PLife Whitewater Kayaking 1 10-22-2008 01:14 PM
Grand Canyon 9/25 - 10/15 paddlepilot Kayaking | Trip Planner 5 09-06-2008 08:58 PM
Grand Canyon of the Stikine - 1999 Descent with Rob Lesser speexchile Whitewater Kayaking 15 10-20-2007 04:40 PM

» Classified Ads
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.