Grand Canyon - Lava Flip Vid! - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-16-2012   #1

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Grand Canyon - Lava Flip Vid!

Just back from the most incredible trip I have ever done. Reentry is rather difficult right now. Going through withdrawals of the scenery, the friends, the laughter, the memories being made daily, not being able to crack a beer open at 10am, not sleeping under a blanket of stars with the roar of the river. I can't wait to go back!

In the meantime enjoy this vid of my friends 14' boat flipping in Lava last week with flows around 7,000 - 9,000cfs. Her 14'er was swalloped and flipped twice on the trip, in Upset and Lava. Luckily, my wife walked Lava and got this gem of a vid on the recorder.

Have fun out there!

calendar16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012   #2

DURANGO, 81301
Paddling Since: 2005
Ledge hole is easy to miss, but those waves at the bottom can sure get ya. Like many of the rapids down there if the wave surges at just the right time you're gonna go swimming. Nice video.
Gumbydamnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012   #3

boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Looks like someone forgot to scout, or look in the guide book, or listen to anyone who has ever gone through Lava. Good video. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012   #4

Golden, Colorado
I hear ya on the withdrawal thing. Just reading your description gave me withdrawal. Thanks for posting.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012   #5

cedar city, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoenfeld13 View Post
Looks like someone forgot to scout, or look in the guide book, or listen to anyone who has ever gone through Lava. Good video. Thanks.
Harsh much? People flip in Big Kahoona all the time. Unless I am reading the video wrong ... but it looks like they made a clean right run around the Ledge and then stalled on the big tail waves by Cheese Grater. Correct?

Appreciate seeing the difference from when I ran it at 20k. Looks completely different. The Big K was huge but it didn't look like it has as much of a hydraulic as this video shows. I just remember the bubble line being absolutely steep.

Thanks for sharing and good job on preventing injuries and gear loss.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012   #6

Waha, Ida'maho
Paddling Since: 01
I love carnage, especially after being part of so much of it! Nice vid!
Old 11-17-2012   #7

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:

Looks like someone has forgotten that sometimes you hit a wave and no matter what you do, it's going to school you. It also looks like your time is coming.
Lids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012   #8

Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Quote:

Thanks for posting the vid, river looks so much different depending on water levels, glad you had such an awesome time! You know the trip was great when you can't wait to go back.
Someone is just arrogant and doesn't know you can flip in a lot of places down there scout or not. Don't listen to shonefeld13's bs he just remembers wondering what was going on the san juan and wants to feel like he is something special ask him if he scouted his flip. Props to your friend for rowing her 14' down there!
Old 11-19-2012   #9

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Quote:
Pretty naive comment there buddy. We did scout, we did have a map, and the captain of this boat has run Lava several times. This is a pretty text book run (in case you didn't know). She ran just right of the ledge hole , had the boat straight through the V-wave and the timing when she hit the bottom wave was just not in her favor. Maybe if she pushed a couple of times before the wave or even dug her oars in at the top of the wave to grab some down river current it could have ended up differently but that is all hind sight. That wave at the bottom curls, curls, curls and then crashes so depending on your timing that's just how it goes in Lava.

Your time to flip is coming and when it does I hope you get it on video!

Happy boating!
calendar16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #10

carbondale, Colorado
Or maybe she just needs a bigger, heavier boat and then she can it all sideways.
Debs is offline   Reply With Quote