grand canyon in march - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-06-2009   #1

grand canyon in march

I'm heading out for 18 days and want feedback on dry versus splash gear for a March trip. Also, how do ladies pee if one is supposed to do this in running water (according to rules and regs)?

willyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2009   #2
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
drysuit for sure. pee in a bucket and toss in river (the pee not the bucket). this works for men too when your bed is on a ledge and you don't want to stumble down to the river at night.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009   #3

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
The best thing EVER for chicks!!! Sani-Fem Freshette F.U.D. at REI.com We have come up with several nicknames for it Keep a tight grip on it when rinsing it out... I dropped mine with three days to go and jumped in after it with just a sarong and bikini top on... Yes, I wanted it that much.

The water is always 45 degrees. I did a trip in November and wore a drysuit on the biggest days, splash gear some of the time and a sarong most of the time. Be prepared for anything.

Laurie
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2009   #4

Palisade, Colorado
Lady J from Campmor
peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009   #5

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I never hassled with those lady - j type things. One thing my group did, was had a pee bucket alongside the groover. That was a great thing. Then yes, I used a collapsible bucket for night time, or if I didn't want to get my feet cold/wet. It also worked when we were motoring out (or anytime someone needed to go NOW!) so we could be discreet and not hang out butts over the side of the boat. Otherwise, just step out into the water and squat. March might be a bit cold for constantly wet feet, I've heard of people bringing rubber boots to keep their feet from being wet all the time. Loading, peeing, etc. Also a sarong is nice to wrap around yourself and be discreet when you have to pee in front of people, if that is a concern. Most of the time, folks just look away for a minute.
Old 01-06-2009   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
You should have a pee bucket next to the groover. This stops you from trying to pee in the rivers main stream at night, after drinking and at other times where you might fall in w/o gear and a life jacket. Guys can use it as well, this is nice when the groover isn't by the river.

You can keep the pee bucket accessible during the day in the boat, but many women just let their butts hang out. Modestly seems to go out the window quite quickly on most river trips. One trick from my last grand trip was having a short loop of webbing tied to a d-ring on the outside of the boat to use as a foot hold in addition to a strap to hold onto on the inside of the raft.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009   #7

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Seriously... for peeing off the raft and only $20, you cannot beat the FUD. The thought of loosing my grip or footing and falling into the water would not be nice. Plus, I slept on my boat most nights. Much easier and safer to just pee off the boat than jump to shore half asleep off a soft raft and find a bucket somewhere. Plus, it's about the only way to pee if you are wearing a drysuit. I have converted all my female friends!

On the topic of rubber boots... they are great! I got a pair for $13 at the Army surplus store. Highly recommended not only for keeping your feet dry when rigging, but protection from the sand!

Laurie
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009   #8

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
No, you keep your own personal bucket with you! I slept on my raft too, and just straddled two boats tied together for PM relief. I wasn't going to mention that, but now I did.

Probably not the safest method, but sure convenient.

When I get a drysuit, will definitely get one of those funny funnel thingies.
Old 01-06-2009   #9

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
I went in March 07' and 18 out of 22 days was 80+ degrees. Got a good tan for sure. But the water is always cold. I think I only busted out my shorty drytop twice.

But......it can be pretty dang cold too.......you never know. I would err on the side of caution and take a drysuit. This past november I wore it almost everyday down there.

Pee buckets are HUGE.....make sure they're secured in the boats when not in use on the river....the rest of the group gets pissed (pun intended) when you lose one of the pee buckets.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009   #10

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmaciag View Post

On the topic of rubber boots... they are great! I got a pair for $13 at the Army surplus store. Highly recommended not only for keeping your feet dry when rigging, but protection from the sand!

Laurie
I couldn't agree more, call them galoshes, cement boots, muck boots, whatever, they are really nice to have. Everyone who didn't have them on our trip was jealous of those that did. Anytime in the shoulder seasons/winter when it can be cold at night, staying dry and warm once you are out of your rafting gear is really nice.

The ones that fit over tennis shoes/booties have some benefits if you don't want to be wearing boots all the time. Also on our trip in October one of the girls got some nasty blisters and rubbing from her boots. The overboot style prevents this as you are wearing your own shoes under them. Just remember to rig them well, these ones have a handle to make rigging, and putting them on, easier. $20.95 a pair.

https://www.gemplers.com/product/134...tractors-Boots
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote