Grand Canyon Hike Out - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-14-2006   #1

Grand Canyon Hike Out

Anyone have advice or experience with hiking out at Phantom Ranch to the north rim? Get this, to have a mule carry one person up it $846.00. Mike

mrkyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2006   #2

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I have not done the hike but my advice from hiking in the desert is, start early, carry a filter for the springs on the way up and if possible keep your load light.

If it is during the summer months wear clothes that provide good sun protection as well.

And good luck....
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006   #3

North Rim? I hiked in once from the south rim to trade places with another paddler. Obviously hiking down was the better deal Not that bad a hike though as long as you don't have to carry your boat out.. also depends on time of year Anytime in the next couple of months is going to be blazin hot. Good advice on early start and a water filter along with plenty of water. Other than that carry as little as possible.
Old Fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2006   #4

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
The hike to the north rim is, as I remember, about 14 miles and 1000ft higher than the south rim. which is 10 miles. As has been said, it will be very hot and you will drink MUCH more water than you think. My guess would be 6 to 8 hours to get out or maybe more. Again, keep your load light.
I think you will also find that the fee for mule support will be much more reasonable on the south side. A few years ago I think I paid $40-80 to have a large duffle carried out and then I hiked out on the Bright Angel trail on the south side with a very light load of mostly water. You can then get water at Indian Gardens, which is half way and then water at 3 and 1.5 miles from the top. The top half is more difficult.
I've never hiked the north side, so I don't know about available water on the way out
Either way your best bet is to start an hour or two before sunrise to get some miles behind you before it gets really hot.
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006   #5

Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Ditto on the Bright Angel Trail. Start early this time of year (in the dark if you can). Water at several points, the NPS has run pipes in, and even poopers at Indian Gardens. Still a mile of vertical though, and you'd miss the best rapids, many of which are immediately downstream of Phantom Ranch (Horn, Granite, Hermit, Crystal). If you can swing it, maybe consider a (gasp) motorized trip that makes it to Diamond in 9 days? Might make the vacation time equation...

But anyway you do it, it's still the best trip I've ever done.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006   #6

San Diego and Frisco, CO
Sounds like you really want to go to North rim, here is a good web site with info.
there is water along the way, btw and you could break the hike into 2 pieces and camp at Cottonwood, but you have to get a permit in advance.
http://www.kaibab.org/bc/gc_tr_nk.htm
Kimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #7

How the hell do you not notice this post is two years old???
El quapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #8

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
HI Stacey-

What the heck are you doing slumming over here at the Buzz! Glad to see a friend around, it gets pretty deep and rough here sometimes, but refreshingly candid.

Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by whycoyote View Post
Mike,

The North Kaibab Trail is 14 miles with an elevation gain of 5816 feet to the North Rim. What kind of aerobic shape are you in, what elevation do you live at, and what time of year are you planning to do this? How much weight will you be carrying?

Temps at the Colorado River in the summer can top 110 degrees. If you do go, make sure that in addition to drinking plenty of water you also eat salty foods along the way. There is water available every few miles UNLESS THE PIPELINE BREAKS IN WHICH CASE YOU WILL HAVE TO FILTER WATER FOR DRINKING.

This is not a hike to be taken lightly. You may want to change your plans to hike out the Bright Angel Trail to the South Rim.

Stacey
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by El quapo View Post
How the hell do you not notice this post is two years old???
Well, geez, why did it show up at the bottom of another post then? And do you really think that this information is not good to have anyway? Are you sitting at home with nothing to do looking for other people to screw up so you can feel better about yourself? Nice welcome to the group, thanks.
whycoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #10

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
It's brutal here, don't take it personally. Sometimes these guys make Doc seem like a nice guy

Weird, your post disappeared and all we get to see is your "warm welcome"?? Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by whycoyote View Post
Well, geez, why did it show up at the bottom of another post then? And do you really think that this information is not good to have anyway? Are you sitting at home with nothing to do looking for other people to screw up so you can feel better about yourself? Nice welcome to the group, thanks.
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote