Grand Canyon High Water - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-04-2008   #1

Grand Canyon High Water

Hi,

Even though it still hasn't been approved, it appears more and more likely that a high water release will occur in the Grand Canyon the first week in March.

Here is the latest official issuance.

http://www.nps.gov/grca/naturescienc...8SafetyHFE.pdf

Could be a big ride coming....

Rich Phillips
VP, GCPBA
gcpba,org

richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2008   #2
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Hi,

You might want to try posting this request over at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gcpba/messages

There are about 1,850 folks over there interested in GC boating, and at any given time there's always someone there interested in GC news.

Good luck.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008   #3

Hi Mania,

Thanks for the suggestion, but this actually has been the subject of quite a bit of discussion already on the GCPBA list.

I just thought that a few folks on this board who have Grand Canyon trips coming up this spring might not have heard about the proposed release.

Best to you.

Rich Phillips
VP, GCPBA
gcpba.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2008   #4
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Sorry I am just being a punk cause you post this for every GC related post on the buzz. We don't come on your list and say: post this on mountainbuzz.com but yeah I know you are just trying to be helpful.
Old 02-04-2008   #5

Hi Mania,

Well I did think I detected a little sarcasm or mockery or something there, but no-one has ever complained about GC-related posts in the past.

Fact is, IIRC Colorado is the state with the largest GCPBA membership. It also had the largest number of people pulling permits (twice as many as any other state) for the Grand in the last lottery. So it seems to me that an informational outreach through this board makes sense.

If my doing this presents a problem for the moderators, I'll be glad to try another approach.

Have a good one.

Rich Phillips
VP, GCPBA
gcpba.org
Old 02-04-2008   #6

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Rich, this is good info. I don't frequent other sites so please put this stuff up any time you have info. Thanks!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008   #7
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
I dont mind his gc posts here, but every time someone else posts about gc he directs them to his site. thats my beef. sorry to be beefy.
Old 02-04-2008   #8

Hi Mania,

Thanks for telling that something I'm doing irritates you. It's not my intent to do that to anyone. It does GCPBA no good for me to be turning people off unnecessarily.

Here's my dilemma. I want to provide information for thecraw and other interested folks. In addition to the raw content of some of my posts, referring them to our list and web site can be valuable as well, particularly if they are new to the scene.

Also, with the ebb and flow of people who follow these lists and boards, it's not like I can assume everybody already knows about the resources GCPBA can provide.

Hope this helps you understand the approach I take. As before, if the moderators would like me to tty something different, please let me know.

Have a good one.

Rich
Old 02-04-2008   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1973
Post away, rich! I always read your threads because I know they are GC or Colorado River related.
riomapas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008   #10

Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I think the difference is that there are very few people on the GCPBA forum who would be interested in reading about whether Bluegrass is running, what the Ark snowpack is, or the latest on Routt County v. Eagle County. There are a lot of Buzzards who are interested in GC issues and news and it is a regular topic. Rich seems to post that line when the thread author is looking for info that would really be much more robust on a forum focused on the Canyon, so I don't really see an issue with it.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote