Grand Canyon Food/Shuttle Outfitter Recs - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-17-2007   #1
EZ

Grand Canyon Food/Shuttle Outfitter Recs

Anybody have any experience and/or opinions regarding Grand Canyon food and shuttle outfitters? I am aware of Canyon REO and PRO, but does anyone know of anybody else?

EZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2007   #2

Golden, Colorado
doing it the EZ way eh? : )
Old 07-17-2007   #3

moenkopi

Check out Moenkopi Riverworks. They are a great company - very professional, with some of the best prices in town. Call Brady Black at 928-856-0012, or go to moenkopiriverworks.com.
andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2007   #4

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
I don't really have any experience with the others, but we went with REO this past March and the food was fantastic. We had more than we knew what to do with.....which was kind of a bummer because we had no choice but to throw a lot of it away. I gained a good 10-L-Bees on that trip just because I felt so badly about trashin' good eats!!!

We used a bunch of their gear too....top of the line stuff in excellent condition....plus the peeps are cool.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007   #5

I've had really good luck working w/ Scott Ceiba and company. And you don't have to deal w/ Dove (REO) who can be really mecurial. Better boats, better food and on the money shuttles.

Grand Canyon River Equipment Rental and Outfitters
RealitySheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007   #6

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Don't have any experience with her, but she is pretty active on the GCPBA forum and seems to have some good advice. Just someone else to check out.

Karen House, MA, LPCC
Cocina del Rio
Catering to River Rats
Cocina Del Rio: Food Services for the Colorado & Green Rivers
505-670-2585
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007   #7

WARNING!! I used Cocina del Rio for a four day food pack on the GC last year. I WAS MISSING 3 ENTIRE MEALS! Very disappointing not to mention frustrating and embarrassing.

While the food that was packed was well porportioned and tasty it didn't make up for the drastic oversight.

When I spoke to Karen about this after my trip she was very apologetic and did make financial restitution w/o issue. Granted, accidents happen but such a major mistake does not go forgiven easily. If it were just a couple of items or even 1 whole meal I might be more understanding, but failing to pack 3 whole meals is more than just an accident in my book, especially when she was hired to pack only four days worth of food.

I just thought that you should know.
Old 07-18-2007   #8

Karen here, from Cocina del Rio - I'd be glad to talk to you about what we have to offer, and despite what Reality Sheriff has to say, we have an excellent reputation and can offer references for you to talk to about the success and excellence of our service. We pack catered food, not just the ingredients, so you spend less time in the kitchen and clean up while you're on vacation. We also work hand in hand with Moenkopi Roverworks for shuttles and gear rental to make it as easy as possible for you.

Karen House, MA, LPCC
Cocina del Rio
Catering to River Rats
[email protected]
Cocina Del Rio: Food Services for the Colorado & Green Rivers
505-670-2585[/quote]
kmcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007   #9

All the best intentions and references don't change my personal experience with Cocina del Rio. So in good conscience I cannot personally recommend this service.
Old 07-18-2007   #10

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
P R O

I was on a August-September 2005 GC trip with shuttle, food, and toilet service from PRO. We sent them our dates, # of boats, cooler sizes, and menu list (i.e. we chose our own food and they packed it and iced it in their coolers).

The only complaints were some slightly awkward packing schemes, with the day's cooks searching for items in several coolers. But on a 10- point scale, I'd give 'em a 9 on food. Tasty meals and reasonable portions.

They were on time, and had stout vehicles for the haul out of Diamond Creek, with good-humored drivers.

Next time out, I might go with a group decision to do food & coolers, but I'd probably ask PRO to do the rocket boxes and shuttle.

Seems like a well-run outfit.

yrss, Chip
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote