Grand Canyon Essentials - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-11-2012   #1

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Grand Canyon Essentials

OK, I know this has been discussed many times over the years, but I was unsuccessful in finding a thread that talked to it (SO many GC threads). I did find this : https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...als-37726.html but would still like to hear more ideas

I'm days away from leaving, and have covered more than the basic essentials, but I thought I'd throw it out and see what great ideas people have.

So, what critical thing do you bring on a GC trip, that is not typical to other trips?

T-6 days!

Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012   #2

prescott, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1982
extreme patience.
86304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012   #3

Christopher Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1969
Did I read somewhere your boats of choice will be the Class V cats? I thought about taking mine down in Jan. as they would be a total blast in the drops. You would own the big ones in those boats. I ultimately opted to go with the round boat due to the small cats piggish nature on flat water and sheer misery to deal with in upstream wind. Best choice of boats in my case. March is typically a windy time to be on the GC and this spring will be a low water float to boot.

To your question: I would be packing an extra tarp w/rigging to create a windbreak for the kitchen area. Hopefully, it would not be needed but meal prep in open wind sucks.

Have a great trip regardless.
fdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012   #4

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdon View Post
Hopefully, it would not be needed but meal prep in open wind sucks.
Reminds me of some amazing sand steak we made at upper cremation. "Its a little gritty".....
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012   #5

Lewistown, middle of MT
Paddling Since: 1982
Burt's Bees Hand Salve, a little vial of super glue for each person. Your hands just dry out, crack open and hurt. The Burt's bees applied liberally morning and night will help prevent it and the super glue puts it back together when it's not enough. Badger or Bag Balm work too.

Leather gloves for loading and unloading - again to protect your hands.

I thought my mini clothesline to dry stuff out was great to have.

Extra sunglasses for when you break them.

My friend gave me some Dermatome for lips and face - saved me.
mtriverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012   #6

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Mmmm, bag balm. What an excellent idea! I have 4 types of lotion/cream, gloves and socks for at night, and wear gloves while boating and rigging. Super glue, baby wipes, big hat, 4 types of sunscreen, the works. But bag balm has some sort of antiseptic properties, and I think that will be a great addition. Thank you!

Yes, a bunch of small cats, medium, and big too. I seriously thought about taking my raft, but thought I'd regret it if I don't bring the little cat at least once.
Old 03-11-2012   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Muck/cement/rain boots. Warm dry feet at night even when you need to get stuff off the boats. And a lower chance of hurting yourself trying to avoid six inches of water (while going out to the boats) after drinking.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012   #8

The Big Smoke, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtriverrat View Post
Burt's Bees Hand Salve, a little vial of super glue for each person. Your hands just dry out, crack open and hurt. The Burt's bees applied liberally morning and night will help prevent it and the super glue puts it back together when it's not enough. Badger or Bag Balm work too.
I prefer the max strength or childrens Neosporen used as a lotion for dry hands to products that leave a greasy/oily feel to my hands (and those two products are more lotion based than the original greasy like Neosporen). If I have a cut or dry crack that's deep then I clean up properly at home after work, re-apply the neo, and whack on one of the name brand Band Aid tough strips/patches. I've tried the brand x' band aids, and the glue used just doesn't hold when wet, or when taking gloves off and on constantly all day.

Sure the Neo is more expensive than bag balm, but I work with my hands in the elements all day, and can't tolerate wounds that can easily get infected, last for weeks, or just simply hurt all day.
constructeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012   #9

Bellevue, Washington
Paddling Since: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by raftus View Post
Muck/cement/rain boots. Warm dry feet at night even when you need to get stuff off the boats. And a lower chance of hurting yourself trying to avoid six inches of water (while going out to the boats) after drinking.
I think that's all lhowe wears in camp anyway. That or crocs.
Alphacyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012   #10

Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
extra of the following
gloves, hat, glasses (seeing and sun), any good moisturizing lotion (do your feet in the morning and at night and you won't have cracks) extra warm cloths (for when it gets cold or you or some one else flips both on and off river cloths) hand and foot warmers, lots and lots of camera batteries and spare cards (solar charger is nice too), Pillow (bring your favorite), 100' parachute cord, knife/leatherman, double bag your sleeping bag, lots of sun screen (think positive), if you have the room a pair of goggles (it's spring and the wind does blow and there's sand everywhere) extra pair of what ever everyday foot wear (i carry a spare pair of chacos) warm booties for camp wear. books (trashable) 6 extra carabiners (real for the boats and small ones of misc small stuff) Several smaller dry bags are better than one monster bag. But I know folks who bring several monster bags too. spare tooth brush. Note all the boat women/men will look at all the stuff and swear they will not be able to fit it on and that it weights too much. By about day 10 they will start wondering if the boat will weigh enough to get through the bigger drops. Have fun
a major one: for women a pee bucket for men 2 wide mouthed 1 L nalgeen bottles for the same thing. These items are for your sleeping site so you don't have to wander down to the river and risk falling in or try to find the groover in the dark.
(17 trips in the ditch)
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote