Grand Advice - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-29-2013   #1

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 2011
Grand Advice

Greetings all,

No,we don't need anyone last minute to pseudo safety kayak or shlep gear down the river.
Just wanted to throw up a thread to the buzzards who have been down the canyon once or twice. Anything you wish you would have packed, appreciated, or explored in retrospect?

Context:

I got myself on my first GC trip and its getting down to the wire. We put in April 12th. Flight booked, Pro is paid, essential details covered. Ill be kayaking with 4 or 5 other, the rest will be hauling gear via inflatables. 21 day trip. Super stoked! Plenty of training this season up here on the PNW goodies. Going with a group of qualified boaters. However, at 24 ill be the youngest buck on this trip. Everyone knows our permit holder, but most of the group does not know each other. Ill be meeting almost everyone for the first time down in Flagstaff.

Of coarse, I hope to go down again, but this may be a once in a lifetime trip for me. Throw me some tips to make the most of this adventure! Rants welcomed. Thanks guys!

Lubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2013   #2

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Check out these threads
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...yon-45990.html
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ons-46781.html
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013   #3

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Develop a teflon back. Things are going to annoy you, and others, and you just have to accept that and don't let them get to you. Those days will pass.

Ask the TL fewer questions than you want. As the TL after even a week the constant and same questions over and over get old. If it is just curiosity, see if you can let the answer unfold, or ask another trip member.

Have fun!
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2013   #4

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
I was in a similar situation as you, 28 first Grand trip and most folks had never met except the trip leader.

Always be willing to step up and help a little extra; it helps smooth over some of the some issues that may show up.
Joe W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013   #5

Columbia Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: 1990
My first GC trip was very similar to what you described. As a kayaker (cling on) pack light, just bring your essentials. That said extra treats and whiskey are always appreciated. Get into a rhythm of helping gear rafts and hauling gear to and from camp. Don't be the kayaker who watches all the rafters pack up. Doing more than your share will get you invited on the next trip. Kayakers are the scouts so read your guidebooks and help the trip find the eddy's for camps and side hikes. The best part about kayaking is being able to run some of the rapids two or three times if your willing to hike back up. Remember, Lava right side up or up side down it's only 17 seconds of fun!
MTcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013   #6

Invermere, British Columbia
Paddling Since: 1974
Grand

Hand Cream, Lots of hand cream.
Your hands and feet will dry and crack in the Colorado silt, so daily application of the above will keep you happy.
Have a Great Trip
Michael P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013   #7

Orem, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
Develop a teflon back. Things are going to annoy you, and others, and you just have to accept that and don't let them get to you. Those days will pass.

Ask the TL fewer questions than you want. As the TL after even a week the constant and same questions over and over get old. If it is just curiosity, see if you can let the answer unfold, or ask another trip member.

Have fun!
Totally agree. If you want to know why things are done a certain way, wait until you are sitting around the camp at night, relaxed, and let them know that you are asking to learn and not to question. If someone questions in the heat of a situation they will get shut down real quick. If you ask when all is calm and they know you are asking to learn from them they will gladly share the knowledge. Read "How to Win Friends and Influence People" before you go.
Old 03-29-2013   #8
Old Guy in a PFD

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1967
Take the Monkey Wrench gang by Edward Abbey to read
Keep a journal. Just read mine from 30 years ago; what a gas!
You will need more booze than you think
You cannot take too many pictures/videos
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013   #9

River trips

Always be the first guy to ask the TL what needs getting done, never sit down till the kitchen is set up or put away. Help the rafters load and unload, never read on the groover, never go on a boat without asking. Enjoy
zercon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013   #10
Old Guy in a PFD

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1967
.....and do not take the last beer.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote