Got to rack up me some credit card debt - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-30-2008   #1

185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
Got to rack up me some credit card debt

So I need to get some gear and I was wondering if you all would lend me your expertise.

Drysuit-godamn expensive. Looking at the IR DD and the Kokatat GFER. My only concern is that since these come with booties that my feet won't fit (size 12). Any experience with either pros cons. The NRS extreme is also a choice just cause it is cheap, which makes me worried that it is CHEAP.

River shoes-something that I can hike in and be comfortable in. Do they even exist or do I just wear my play booties and pack a pair of shoes in my boat.
P.S. Right now on ebay there is a size 9 pair of Nike ACG Toketees for bid. Get them now.

Dry float bags-anyone?

Thanks

yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2008   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Yo Pops.

Go with the kokatat. Check the sizing page that they have on their website. I think size 12 is no problem for feet. I am size 11 and my booties have plenty room to spare.

Its an investment, and worth every penny. Wear it on a day like yesterday at Gore and you will have no doubt that its worth every penny.

Not sure about the shoes. I've been wondering as well. Looking for something with more support, but still good traction.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008   #3

Deep,
So you have extra room in your booties because I would probably need a large Drysuit which comes with medium booties which go up to size 11 on their chart. Also do you have a lot of water getting into your boat because there is not a skirt tunnel correct?
Thanks

Oh I have been looking at the Keen Hood river Boots (not the shoes) dont know how well they stick but Sierra trading post has them for 50 buck right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2008   #4

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I have the Palm Torrent, Nike ACG's, and watershed dry bags in the rear. It's a great setup.

As for the feet, I'm ~9.5 in size and I fit them inside my ACG's when I paddle.
GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008   #5

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1492
Hey, not sure if they still have any left, but I just got a Kokatat GMER from Outdoorplay for a GREAT price. I am 6'3" 190lbs, size 12 feet. The XL fits me really well in the shoulders, legs, and feet. There is a little bit of extra fabric around the waist, but I had tried the Large and it was tight in the crotch and short in the arms and tight in the shoulders. I saved almost $350 at Outdoorplay. Had been chatting with Kokatat about a custom-lengthened Large, and it was going to run ~$1,200. Got the XL for like $675 new, '07 model. You'd have to check their website. I got mine and my gal's new one in 3 days. If you're a kayaker, you definitely want the GMER, not the GFER. No sprayskirt tunnel on the GFER. One thing about the NRS suits: I tried several on, and the damn entry zipper runs over the bicep of your right arm instead of up over the shoulder. Really bugged me when I simulated paddling in it. The Kokatat is definitely better designed and seems a lot more comfy. The GoreTex socks were plenty big on both the L and XL for my 12 feet, and they slipped in to my Patagonia Playboots reasonably well. Have never had the GoreTex socks before. I have an old Kokatat non-GoreTex with no peezip that I've worn for at least 16 seasons, so the price averages out pretty good if you're gonna get that much use out of it. Of course, I probably only wore it maybe 15-25 early paddling days each year, but it was a godsend every one of those days.
I bought two pairs of the Patagonia playboots at SierraTradingPost.com when Patagonia was closing them out. Had another pair that lasted 5 seasons (with some minor repairs) of trips to CA, trips down the box, lots of scouting and hiking and portaging. Still think it might have been the best river shoe ever made, although some people had theirs wear out faster than mine did. Not sure if you can still find them anywhere, but think they are worth a look.
Good luck on the dry bags. I have another post going about that issue right now, and most people are recommending the Watershed Futas. Heavy bastards, but people say they stay dry in the shit. Guess it's a tradeoff. My Bruneau Bags from CKS (no longer made) were the bomb. Light, dry, easy to pack and see what you were packing. If you find something better than the Futa's I'd be interested in hearing about them. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourrealdad View Post
So I need to get some gear and I was wondering if you all would lend me your expertise.

Drysuit-godamn expensive. Looking at the IR DD and the Kokatat GFER. My only concern is that since these come with booties that my feet won't fit (size 12). Any experience with either pros cons. The NRS extreme is also a choice just cause it is cheap, which makes me worried that it is CHEAP.

River shoes-something that I can hike in and be comfortable in. Do they even exist or do I just wear my play booties and pack a pair of shoes in my boat.
P.S. Right now on ebay there is a size 9 pair of Nike ACG Toketees for bid. Get them now.

Dry float bags-anyone?

Thanks
Old 03-30-2008   #6

unemployeed
Send a message via ICQ to northfwestg
yo pappa got ur drysuit

yea yea nrs extreme, no releif zip, 275 shipped, size xl, used 6 times, thnks danger 406-250-8890
northfwestg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008   #7

Dammit Wyo, they are out of GMERs. I would have snagged one right away. I am about 6'2 185 soaking wet so it sounds like I need to go with an XL on kokatat products huh?

Scotty, thanks for telling me you have the Nike ACG's it is only helpful if you have a size 12 pair lying around. How do you like that Palm? Is it the stikine? Is not having booties a problem?
Old 03-30-2008   #8
Charc in = charc out

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1992
best footwear:

Five Ten Canyoneer 2 Shoes - Mountain Tools
ToddG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008   #9

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1492
OK, that is one badazz looking shoe. How about the buckles? Any problems getting them caught on stuff, and how do they hold up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
Old 03-30-2008   #10

Payette Bootie

You might want to check out the Payette Bootie

A little better availability than the Tokatee as it's brand spanking new and in stores now. CKS, Confluence, Rendezvous, Taos Mountain Outfitters, and Four Corners all carry it here in the Rockies. Not sure about the Pac-NW zone, but I'm sure it's in a few stores out there too.

And yes, the Five-Ten Canyoneer is one bad ass piece as well.
twitch is offline   Reply With Quote